1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with my LG DVD Writer burning CDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suicide, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suicide

suicide Thread Starter

I have an LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B Super multi writer. This writer also burns RAM discs. My problem is I went to burn an Audio CD with Nero 6 and it would only let me burn at a Max speed of 8X. The writer can burn up to 40X for CDRs, but it's like it thinks that I'm burning a RAM disc when I'm burning a CDR. The CDRs I'm using are Mitsumi and rated up to 48X. I have never had a problem with them ever. I also tried burning with Pinnacle Instant DVD/CD 8 and it did the same thing. So does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thx

2. suicide

suicide Thread Starter

Anyone?

3. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

4. suicide

suicide Thread Starter

Ya I've been to that site no answer. Anyone else know?

5. bobcoolos

bobcoolos

ok, im also using Nero 6. If you have the same as mine........

-Click/Doubble Click on your "Nero Start Smart"
    -Extras
    -Control Drive's Speed

Hope it works for ya. :D

6. Instantjunk

Instantjunk

You could try a firmware update for the drive from the Manufacture. Keep in mind if the drive works now it may not work after a firmware update, also check for Nero's latest update may have a bug fix for that drive. Just an opinion not the Gosipel True.

7. suicide

suicide Thread Starter

The problem is that its supposed to write at 40x originally so a firmware upgrade shouldnt do anything correct? The Nero start smart didnt work.

8. Instantjunk

Instantjunk

Had a little problem with Nero and my Sony DL, had to remove and reinstall Nero and re-update before it recognized all of the speed capabilities of the drive, but that may not fix your problem if it also doesn't work in Pinnacle.
    Just because the box advertised 40x doesn't mean you will get that performance without a specific media brand or type. Check the fine print in the manual. It could also need to be set to the DMA setting in device manager.

Good Luck!

9. suicide

suicide Thread Starter

I went into the device manager and the properties of the writer and I didnt see anywhere to enable the DMA. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Thx The media I'm using burns up tp 48X and worked fine in my older LiteOn CD writer.

10. Instantjunk

Instantjunk

Sorry - Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Secondary IDE Channel>Properties>Advanced Settings

11. suicide

suicide Thread Starter

Yes DMA is enabled.

12. Instantjunk

Instantjunk

Well then, I'm going to step back and watch and see if anybody else has any suggestions.
    Best of Luck!

13. suicide

suicide Thread Starter

Thx but dont step back, I need all the help I can get. :D

14. Instantjunk

Instantjunk

Oh, I'll keep watching and if I think of anything I'll let you know.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually Firmware may be the answer. DVD compatibilty is a big problem. I have a LG 4040B and it will only write to Mitsumi 4X DVD's at 2X and had to update the firmware to use Memorex discs. The lesson is not all media works in all drives.

You can download the firmware from here: http://www.lge.com/support/software_gcsc.jsp

Somtimes it solves problems with media not listed as well as not all media can be tested. Or you can try different CD's.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice