1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with my modem or pc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sSmEnArRu, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sSmEnArRu

sSmEnArRu Thread Starter

ok, first of all sorry if this problem has already been solved but I've read about 17 posts on the subject and none of them we're like mine.
    so this is the thing: about a month ago my internet started disconnecting, it didn't happen very often so I didn't mind it. a couple of weeks ago it started doing it every 30 or so minutes (this is my desktop computer, my laptop -wich is using wireless from the same modem- has never had a problem) and it was really getting on my nerves, so I called my internet provider (telefonica - I live in spain) and they said there is no problem in the connection.

this week has been hell it's been connecting and disconnecting every 10 seconds. at first I thought it was the cable and I changed it, then I thought it might be the modem itself so I connected it to my laptop and the connection was fine (I disconnected it from the wireless network and re-connected it using cable, 24 hours with no problems).

my final thought was that it might be an internal problem from the pc itself, so I got an internet card (don't know if that's how it's called in english, my pc comes with a built-in connection for internet and I got a separate one from my friends pc), I installed the drivers and it should run but I get them same problem, it just connects and disconnects every 10 or so seconds.

on a side note I have windows vista service pack 1, I don't get any error message but I did notice that know instead of 1 broadband connection I have 2 in my connection list (wich is strange as I've always had only 1 -this was before I installed the other card)

i really don't know how to solve this, if there allready is a solution for this please point me out to the thread and if not please someone help me.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:First thing I might do is boot up in safe mode with networking.Same problem ?
    My first thought would be a driver issue.I would go to your pc makers web site and download/install the current driver for your lan adapter.
    Then let's see:
    Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    4. should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

I am curious about the two lan adapters that you see.

3. sSmEnArRu

sSmEnArRu Thread Starter

I just ran safe mode with networking and the same thing happens, disconects and re-connects every couple of secconds.

now here are the steps you asked:
    1. I have 3, Hamachi Network Interface; NIC de Fast Ethernet Realtek RTL8139/810x and Realtek RTL8168C/8111C Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

-in that order-

2. None of them have a red X
    3. Nothing under device manager is displayed with yellow ! or ?
    4. yes, it should be but it doesn't work for some reason.
    5. no error code of any sort.

4. sSmEnArRu

sSmEnArRu Thread Starter

I've got to go to sleep, it's 11:07 p.m. here and I've got to be up at 7 a.m. tomorrow.
    If anyone has any ideas please leave them here and I'll try them tomorrow when I get home.

Thanks pedroguy for the ideas (i didn't think to try safe mode).

5. sSmEnArRu

sSmEnArRu Thread Starter

ok, I'm home.
    I called my internet provider (telefonica) again and they still say there is nothing wrong with my connection.
    I don't no what to do. The 2 year guarantee expired half a year ago and from what this guy I know tells me it would cost about 120 euros (about 160 dollars) to get it looked at and repaired.

Does anyone have any ideas?

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:I might suggest a couple of things by way of process of elimination.
    If you have not done so,Go to pc maker's website and download/install the current adapter driver for your ethernet adapter.
    Have you tried another port on your router ?
    Have you made a direct connection desktop to modem.Will require a modem power on reset.
    I'm assuming that you have only one ethernet port on the desktop.If not,try the other port.

7. sSmEnArRu

sSmEnArRu Thread Starter

yes, I only have 1 ethernet port on my descktop and I've just tried connecting with the other 3 ports on the modem.
    I think I'll try downloading the latest driver and see if that will work.
    I'll post results after I'm done.

8. schang626

schang626

update the firmware on the router too

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

Probably not a router issue,but yes if new firmware is available,that is always a good thing to do.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sorta sounds to me that you have a modem/wireless router combination unit, multiple computers have good internet access using ethernet, but at least one computer is frequently disconnecting when using a wireless connection. The one computer with wireless difficulties has the same or similar problems using an integrated adapter and a borrowed external adapter. Is this true?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice