1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with my ping in Enemy Territory...

Discussion in 'Games' started by JJSOLOMON, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JJSOLOMON

JJSOLOMON Thread Starter

Alright, here's the deal guys. I had some spyware installed on my system that I have pretty much taken care of. My system is pretty much back in the shape it was in a few days ago, except for one small thing. I notice now that when I play ET, my ping is higher than it ever was before.

Now, I know that ping fluctuates and all, but I have a wireless DSL connection and it would typically hover between 50 to 70 on a given server. Now, it hovers around 100, and sometimes, it goes a LOT higher than that. I have no clue what could've caused this and haven't had this problem before (I've been an avid ET player for over 6 months now), but I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to once again get my ping down to what it was before. Any kind of tweak or setting I could change..?

Thanks,

Jason

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    ping yourself on 127.0.0.1 and see if your card is being faulty

also try the tracert command to see if you get any problems

eg tracert forums.techguy.org

3. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

You say you are running on a wireless DSL connection. My best guess is that something (most likely the spyware) changed some router settings. Check your router manual or website and make sure your settings are correct. Ping in games and download speed/availablitiy are greatly affected by defective routers.

4. tagnil

tagnil

I know it's the lazy gamers way out, but for a problem like this I would just roll everything back. I assume you have XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice