Problem with my router!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chrisbar

I'm at my wits end here and could use some insight and help. I have a cable modem - hitron cgnm-2250-sdl acquired through suddenlink. I'm trying to change my router from wpa2-psk to WEP security type for the purpose of being able to play my 3ds games on the Internet but it won't let me change - or even click the security type when I log into my router. I've tried a factory reset to see if that might fix an odd setting that was causing this but to no avail. I've confirmed without a reasonable doubt that I am using the original user and password when logging in but it still gives me no control over any of my settings! Insights? Possible causes? I just get a red circle with a diagnosis line - clearly stating I'm not allowed to. Why is this?

TerryNet

Terry
I've confirmed without a reasonable doubt that I am using the original user and password when logging in but it still gives me no control
Some routers have two login accounts--one Admin and one User. On those only the Admin can make changes to the configuration.

Chrisbar

Is there a possible way for me to confirm that this isn't an administrator account besides calling my isp? When I looked it up, I was led to believe this was the original user and password but I have no means or knowledge to confirm this nor do I see a list of user names in the routers interface.

Edit* I'd also like to add that it matched the user and password on the back of my router.

TerryNet

Terry
Your ISP probably won't have an answer unless they supplied the router.

What is the brand and model of the router? Do you have a manual?

Chrisbar

I do not have a manual. It is a hitron cgnm-2250-sdl. I'm fairly convinced the sdl is added because it's the initials of my isp so a cgnm-2250.

plodr

Liz
http://setuprouter.com/router/hitron/cgnm-2250/login.htm
You might want to read WEP vs WPA (link in left column)

Are you sure WEP is a choice in your modem/router combo?
In 2006 WPA2 became mandatory in all new Wi-Fi devices.
WEP is not a "wired equivalent," as it's name suggests; it can be cracked in less than a minute by a commonplace hacker.
At that rate, you might as well just turn off security since WEP is not secure.

TerryNet

Terry
Time to discuss with your ISP (I'm assuming that you got the modem/router from them).

Chrisbar

http://setuprouter.com/router/hitron/cgnm-2250/login.htm
You might want to read WEP vs WPA (link in left column)

Are you sure WEP is a choice in your modem/router combo?

At that rate, you might as well just turn off security since WEP is not secure.
I'm aware of the problems. I intended to switch between the two as needed since wep is the only connection type I'm capable of using that device I'm trying to hook up supports.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online