1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with my sister's computer.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ingeborgdot, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Thread Starter

My sister's computer has had an issue where her two daughters accounts have gone crazy. Almost all the programs are gone. Where did they go and how do we get them back? I tried putting in a new account but no programs install for that either. What has happened?

2. TekTime

TekTime

Could you please explain what you mean by "her two daughters accounts have gone crazy. Almost all programs are gone"?

When you added a new account, what exactly does that mean? (ie reinstall, new profile..?)

3. ingeborgdot

When you go into users accounts and add a new person to the computer none of the programs show up in the programs section after you sign into the name.
    Her daughters all programs section now has only a couple of programs in it.
    I don't know how else to explain it.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

That's because the new user didn't exist when the programs were installed.

Or when programs were installed, the choice was made to install this program for this user only?

5. ingeborgdot

I just went and created a new user on my computer which I have never done and EVERY program that is in my program list was on the test program list. Never were any of the programs made to only work for that user only. I know that for a fact.

So what happened to the ones that were already in her daughters program list.

6. Bernardo

Bernardo

Did you ask the daughters what they did? Did they try to delete their user account? Did they uninstall programs? Programs don't just disappear by themselves.

7. ingeborgdot

The one daughter has not even been home for the last year hardly because she has been at college. I think we all know that they don't just vanish on their own. They did not have administrative rights so there would have been know way they could have deleted them.

8. TekTime

TekTime

I wouldn't rule out Malware as the cause. Has the computer been scanned for viruses/trojans etc prior to the account problems? If so, with which program(s)?

9. ingeborgdot

Avast was used and some viruses were found but none that were considered serious. We are going to reinstall and be done with it.

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

That would be my best suggestion. Be sure to do a clean install, wiping the entire drive first.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice