1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with my USB Disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quetzalma, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Quetzalma

Quetzalma Thread Starter

I'm currently having a wierd problem with my laptop
    Whenever I plug a USB Disk or anything similar(USB Hubs, SD Cards, Memory Sticks, etc) it never shows up in "My Computer", if I go to the Device Manager the devices appear there, but they don't appear on the "My Computer" screen. I've tested the cards in both an external device and the own computer Card Reader, both with the same result...
    I have already tried uninstalling them several times with no results, however I know that the problem is not with the USB Ports since both my USB Mouse and my PS3 Controller work fine when I plug them, its just my USB Disks and everything that's similar to that, I have already tested them on another computer and they work correctly, I've tried everything I could remember and nothing...

Can anyone help me?

PC Specs:
    Asus M51VSeries
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40 Ghz 2.40 Ghz
    RAM: 4 Gb
    Graphics: 512 Mb Dedicated + 1 Gb Shared from RAM
    Harddisk: 320 Gb

EDIT:
    Forgot to say that when I connect an USB Disk, the computer makes the USB Connection Sound, but nothing in My Computer as said above

2. 19nazzy

19nazzy

I'm having the exact same issue as well. I'll keep my eye on this thread to see if it helps me out as well, rather than posting a new thread at the same time.

To the OP, I found this link that could be helpful to you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196/en-us

However, it wouldn't allow me to delete those entries so hopefully it works for you (and hopefully someone can help me with that).

3. Quetzalma

Quetzalma Thread Starter

I'm using Vista, not XP so that won't work to me..
    On my XP Computer they all work great

4. 19nazzy

19nazzy

Whoops sorry, forgot to double check that.

I'll be quiet now. :eek:

5. 19nazzy

19nazzy

Hey, I finally fixed my problem after countless hours so I'll let you know what I did to see if it works for you. It actually was such a basic fix (I even figured it wouldn't work because it seemed so basic) but here's what I did.

Go to your c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.
    Find one or all of these files: secdrv.sys, sptd.sys and sptdXXXX.sys (XXX is a number).
    Cut and paste the files somewhere you can replace them back if need be (I just put them in My Documents).
    Reboot your machine and insert USB device.

To my shock and amazement it completely fixed my problem, and it sounds like you're having the exact same one I did so I suggest you see if this works.

Good luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice