1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with my USB port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shifty, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

My usb port is not working, i've tried to install my scanner, camera. Its not detecting anything.

2. hammerbill

hammerbill

Look in your device manager. does your usb port show there?

3. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

4. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

what do i do?

5. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

I need help

6. fweaver

fweaver

In Device Manager after you expand USB Controllers you should show something like the following: Intel might be replaced with VIA if you have their chipset.

Intel XXXXXX USB Universal Host Controller
    USB Root Hub

There may be several USB Root Hub lines.

Have you any other devices that are USB? If so do they work properly. If they do the issue is not your USB.

Sometimes when USB HP printers are removed they don't completely remove themselves and you can end up with weird lines showing the device is still attached.

If you do not have any other USB devices and have never used any other USB devices your expanded view of USB Controllers should appear as above if it is working properly.

The Kodak camera software does not always load correctly if that is the brand camera you are trying to attach.

You may have to reinstall your USB. Before you try, make sure you have the USB Drivers Disk that came with your Mobo or OEM.
    Your PC manufacturer or your Paperwork that came with your 3rd party Mobo should explain how to install USB. (depending on whether or not you have an OEM PC.

Frank

7. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

I have two usb controllers, one is Sis PCI TO USB open host, and the other USB Root hub.
    This year I only had the hp 2200c scanner. Since i bought my pc as an open box item, it came with manual, and the recovery cds.

8. fweaver

fweaver

What is your OS?

If it is Win98 there is a file called usbview.exe on the CD. It will attempt to connect to your usb ports and list what it finds. Check out this web site for instructions on using it.

http://cwdixon.com/support/win98_support/usb_test.htm

Frank

9. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

my Os is winme

10. fweaver

fweaver

The program should work on Windows ME. I have used it on Windows 2000 Server and it functions there. Just plug a device into the USB port and run usbview.exe. If the program shows that it found a device your USB ports are functioning properly. If you switch the device to another port and then run usbview.exe again it should show that a device was disconnected and show it now on the next port. If this happens then the problem is not the USB ports.

Do you have access to a Win98 CD?
    Have you used the USB ports before?

I have seen scanners that require software to be installed and a reboot before plugging in the scanner. If you don't follow the proper install sequence it will hose the install.

If this is the first time. It is possible that the USB ports are disabled in the BIOS. I would check that first.

This file may be on your WinME CD as well.

Tools | reskit | diagnose | usbview.exe

11. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

It says no device connected

12. fweaver

fweaver

I assume the USB ports are part of the mobo and not an add in card. The drivers for the USB may be corrupt, the devices that you are plugging into the ports have not been properly installed per manufacturers instructions, or the ports are trashed.

Do you have a WindowsME CD? If you have a Floppy or CD from SIS that specifically contains the Chipset Drivers use it instead of the WinME CD.

You need to write down exactly what Device Manager shows for the USB PCI to USB Host Controller. Usually it will say something like SIS <model number> PCI - USB Open Host Controller.

1. To remove the USB drivers open Device Manager.
    2. Expand the USB Controllers
    3. Right Click on the SIS <model number> PCI - USB Open Host Controller.
    4. Select Delete
    All item pertaining to USB Controllers will be removed from Device Manager.

5. Reboot the PC.

On boot up PC will recognize USB ports. If it does not recognize them chances are the ports have been disabled in CMOS or they are physically damaged.

The Add New Hardware Wizard will appear if it finds the ports.
    Put your Drivers disk in the drive

6. Click next.
    7. Select Search for Best Driver and Click next.
    8. Select Specify Location click browse and locate the Disk that you inserted.
    9. Click next.
    10. Select the updated Driver (Recommended) if it shows one.

11. If it does not show one select "One of the other drivers" and click View list. Select the correct Driver from the list. SIS may not be listed as SIS but as Silicon Integrated Systems.

12. Click next
    13. Click next
    14. Click finish

The System will add the USB Root Hub and boot into Windows.
    You are finished re-installing the USB System.
    Follow the installation procedures for the particular devices per manufacturers instructions. The device should then function. If not you may have damaged ports that may require a service technician.

13. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

I don't have the cd or floppy for the sis. But i do have the winme cd.

14. shifty

shifty Thread Starter

Since it is a sony, my computer has the recovery cds (system,driver,application). I removed it and rebooted and it said New hardware found etc and it automatically reinstalled it. So i went and checked to see in device manager and now it has a question mark next to the SiS 7001 PCI to USB

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Click on it and click update driver. Will it find a better driver? If not we need to find an updated on online.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice