1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Netgear Network after updating to Win XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MikieB, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikieB

MikieB Thread Starter

I have just developed a problem with my wirelesss network setup after updating my laptop to Windows XP Home from Windows 98. The specifics are as follows: Desktop is Gateway 700XL w/ a 2.2 gigahertz Pentium 4 and 1gb RAM. It is connected to a Netgear WGT624 Router (computer is connected to Router which is connected to TimeWarner broadband cable modem supplied by Arris). My Laptop is an Sony Vaio PCG F490 with a Pentium 3, 650mhz chip and 256mb of RAM. I use a Netgear WG511T Wireless PC Card (the Router and Card were sold as a Kit, #WGTB 511T). The setup has worked perfectly for a year and a half. Then about 5 days ago I upgraded my laptop to Windows XP Home. Since then I have been unable to connect the laptop to the wireless network. After several days with Netgear Tech Support I am left with either the router, or the wireless pc card is not operable. I am not able to determine which of the two is not working. I can't believe installing XP would 'break' anything. I have gone through all the steps with Netgear Tech Support and everything is set correctly between the two computers. I have assigned a Network Name to the setup and I use WEP. These are all correctly set (remember, everything worked perfectly before the laptop was updated to XP). I have the most recent drivers and firmware for both Netgear items. I am able to log onto both the router and the internet with the desktop. My laptop is unable to find any networks in its vicinity to connect to. Twice, though, in the last 3 days the laptop has, all of a sudden, picked up several networks including my home network, but it is not able to connect. Then, after about 1/2 hour, all the networks disappear from Netgear's 'Smart Wizard' and I am back to zero. Is there any issue involving Windows XP and my Wireless PC Adapter card on the Laptop? How can I determine which of the two Netgear items is bad? I don't want to buy a new PC Adapter card and then find out it is the router that is bad, and vica versa. The version of XP upgrade I purchased included Service Pack 2. Thanks for any help. Regards -- MikieB

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What you said about several networks including your own suddenly being detected but then disappearing indicates a problem with the laptop/adapter. Are you using the Netgear utility or Windows XP's WZC? And is the other one not running?

Determine whether WZC is running: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - scroll to Wireless Zero Configuration.

3. MikieB

MikieB Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. On both computers WZC is Started, Automatic and logged on as Local System. On the desktop there is no Netgear Application installed. On the laptop, both Netgear's 'Smart Wizard' and Windows Wireless Network Connection are running. The info in the Windows box reads in part: "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to configure this wireless connection, use that software...", etc. I assume this means I am using the Netgear 'Smart Wizard'. In working with Netgear Tech Support, I've used both Windows and Netgear with the same result, namely nothing. Thanks -- MikieB

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try NetStumbler (www.netstumbler.com). It uses its own drivers and sometimes detects networks just fine when WZC or Netgear (or whatever) fails. If this happens then we know the adapter is good; something wrong with Registry, utility, driver, ... .

5. MikieB

MikieB Thread Starter

I did as you suggested and downloaded Network Magic. Results as follows: I installed it to the Desktop and it shows the wireless router connected to both the internet and the desktop computer. Nowhere in the network map does the laptop show up. I also installed the program on the laptop. It is unable to detect a wireless network. Seems like my problem lies in the PC Adapter card. I have checked for both 'available wireless networks' and 'hidden networks'. Is it possible that Windows XP just doesn't interact with this Netgear WG 511T or has the card gone bad at exactly the moment I installed XP on the laptop? What is your best guess? By the way, thanks so much for the quick, useful responses. Regards, MikieB

6. yzman

yzman

if you did not update your xp to service pack 2 i suggest that... wireless support on xp prior to service pack 2 is horrible!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Network Magic??? I see that having a closing paren immediately after the web address messed things up; it should simply be www.netstumbler.com

Is it NetStumbler that detects no wireless network on the laptop? If so, sometimes in the Device menu it shows multiple connections (different drivers) and you should try the other one.

8. MikieB

MikieB Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet: I have just downloaded 'Network Stumbler'. On my laptop at the very bottom of the window after "Ready", it says: "No APs active", "GPS: Disabled". On the Menu Bar, under 'Device' are the following 2 entries: 'Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card WG511T Atheros' and 'Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card WG511T NDIS 5.1'. I have selected each of the 2 items listed and the results are exactly the same: Using list view, no channels or SSID's show up. Nothing shows up for any of the items under 'Filters'. It is Network Stumbler that detects no wireless network on the laptop. When installed it turned off the Windows program. I also installed the program on the Desktop. At the bottom after 'Ready' it says 'No Wireless Adapter Found' and 'GPS disabled. There are no devices listed and all the information in the main window is blank. Regards -- MikieB

9. MikieB

MikieB Thread Starter

Thanks, yzman, for the info. The upgrade I used included SP2 so that should not be the problem. I'm fairly certain the problem is 'mechanical' but I need to figure out if the router is bad or the wireless adapter card is bad.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your results (or lack of) with Net Stumbler on top of what happens with WZC indicates to me a problem with the card or maybe with the PCMCIA slot.

Any chance of trying another card with your laptop or that card in another laptop?

I don't have my laptop on now; are there any chipset drivers or a specific PCMCIA slot driver that may not be the most up to date XP drivers? To be more specific, after installing XP did you check Sony's site for latest drivers for your machine? One or more of your drivers may be "Microsoft generic" but you need Sony modifications.

11. MikieB

MikieB Thread Starter

I have checked the Sony site and have downloaded all the available upgrades. None of them specifically address networking though. My last thought on this is to reinstall the original system files to the laptop and starting over. Then updating everything from the Sony website again and then reinstalling the XP upgrade. Or, just buy a new laptop. I'm looking at a Gateway NX860X with an Integrated Intel 802.11a/b/g wireless networking card. Would there be any problem using that in conjunction with my Netgear WGT 624 Router? I can't think of any reason they wouldn't work together, but you are on top of these thiings way more than I am. I would probably lose the turbo boosted 108Mbps but I guess that's all right. I appreciate the help. Thanks -- MikieB

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm on a laptop now and see that in Device Manager there is a "cardbus controller" under PCMCIA adapters. So that controller would be the one for which to make sure you have the latest driver.

MY OPINION based on experience and on reading threads here: the Intel integrated wireless adapters work fine, BUT always seem to need updated drivers. Dell is good at supplying modified driver soon after Intel updates; Toshiba is terrible at doing so. Advise that anybody considering buying a laptop with integrated Intel wireless first snoop around the laptop manufacturer's web site (support section) and see if they seem to have updated drivers. Also, most (but not all) people find that those adapters work better with Intel's utility than with WZC.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice