1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Netgear Network after updating to Win XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MikieB, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikieB

MikieB Thread Starter

I have just developed a problem with my wirelesss network setup after updating my laptop to Windows XP Home from Windows 98. The specifics are as follows: Desktop is Gateway 700XL w/ a 2.2 gigahertz Pentium 4 and 1gb RAM. It is connected to a Netgear WGT624 Router (computer is connected to Router which is connected to TimeWarner broadband cable modem supplied by Arris). My Laptop is an Sony Vaio PCG F490 with a Pentium 3, 650mhz chip and 256mb of RAM. I use a Netgear WG511T Wireless PC Card (the Router and Card were sold as a Kit, #WGTB 511T). The setup has worked perfectly for a year and a half. Then about 5 days ago I upgraded my laptop to Windows XP Home. Since then I have been unable to connect the laptop to the wireless network. After several days with Netgear Tech Support I am left with either the router, or the wireless pc card is not operable. I am not able to determine which of the two is not working. I can't believe installing XP would 'break' anything. I have gone through all the steps with Netgear Tech Support and everything is set correctly between the two computers. I have assigned a Network Name to the setup and I use WEP. These are all correctly set (remember, everything worked perfectly before the laptop was updated to XP). I have the most recent drivers and firmware for both Netgear items. I am able to log onto both the router and the internet with the desktop. My laptop is unable to find any networks in its vicinity to connect to. Twice, though, in the last 3 days the laptop has, all of a sudden, picked up several networks including my home network, but it is not able to connect. Then, after about 1/2 hour, all the networks disappear from Netgear's 'Smart Wizard' and I am back to zero. Is there any issue involving Windows XP and my Wireless PC Adapter card on the Laptop? How can I determine which of the two Netgear items is bad? I don't want to buy a new PC Adapter card and then find out it is the router that is bad, and vica versa. The version of XP upgrade I purchased included Service Pack 2. Thanks for any help. Regards -- MikieB

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. Flrman1

Flrman1

Please do not post duplicate threads. This thread is closed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice