1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with network.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by phob54, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phob54

phob54 Thread Starter

im connected to my network and everything works good, for about 20-30min then all the sudden my connection drops off, like the router freezes and i have to reboot it to get my connection back. Did i do something wrong or is the router going. I have excellent signal strength and havent had this problem before. Like i said, il be on the net for awhile and then my internet connection will leave, and it gets stuck on "acquiring network adress" and i have to reboot the router to get my connection back. do i have to change something through my router management page?

2. Anton Wan

Anton Wan

What is the brand and model you are using? This will help out anyone else that might see your post. If it is a Linksys check out there website, they have tons of documentation. All you need is the model and version number. I would try upgrading the firmware from the companies website for the router and see if that helps.

TK

3. phob54

phob54 Thread Starter

d-link 524 i already upgraded it.

4. phob54

phob54 Thread Starter

its odd because the router just seems to stop recieving the packets that my computer is sending.

5. Anton Wan

Anton Wan

What Revision do you have? The version of firmware you are running now?

You can try to use the reset button. Hold the button down for 10 seconds, then while still holding the button power off the router for 5-10 seconds. Then, while still holding the button, power on the router and hold the button for another 10 seconds. Beware this will set everything back to the factory settings so if you are using it right now you might want to hold off on it unless you have time to reconfigure it.

6. phob54

phob54 Thread Starter

hmm i restart my router to factory settings and i reupgraded firmware see if it work now.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I infer that you are connected wirelessly. And guess that you are suffering from wireless interference or from the router getting "tired."

A reset to factory default settings and then reconfiguring it, per Anton Wan's post, sometimes refreshes routers having this problem.

Wireless interference can be from 2.4Ghz cordless phones, other wireless networks on the same or close channel, and other devices such as microwaves, TVs, etc.

8. phob54

phob54 Thread Starter

my phone is 5.8ghz and i set my channel to 1 because there is 2 other people using channel 6 on the area but i did reset to factory and so far its working been on 17min. usually problem occurs @ 20-30min range

9. phob54

phob54 Thread Starter

hmm it just did it again, the status light on my router just keeps flashing while the other lights are just unactive solid. do i need a new router? just seems like it locks up. =(

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think there is high probablility that you need a new router, especially if the router is a couple years old.

If you can connect your PC directly to the modem and the problem goes away, you know that it is a router or wireless problem.

If you then connect via ethernet to the router, and disable the wireless signal,
    a. and the problem stays, get a router;
    b. and the problem goes away, either the wireless section is failing or there is wireless interference.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice