1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with new DRDRW/R CDRW/R

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystik78, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystik78

mystik78 Thread Starter

I have a new Double-Layer Sony DRU 710 A DVD drive. Worked fine the first week it's been installed. Now, for some reason, it won't recognize certain disks/files. Ex, I can burn a bin/cue file, but the drive then can't read the file on the disk. It also won't read/recognize any of the Sims disks, from the orig. on. Could this be a driver or flash problem? The problem occured after my sister downloaded and extracted a bunch of Sims walls, skins, etc. Should I just delete everything Sims related first? Or could this be a bigger problem?

Thanks,
    Heather

btw, the drive is recognizing avi files on a cd-r disk from a while back, but can't play a music disk.

2. mystik78

mystik78 Thread Starter

uninstalled all sim's related stuff, ran simeraser, still having the probem. but it will read dvd's that i burned before the problem.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Since this problem appears so random it might be worth trying the drive another computer and see if it acts the same.

4. mystik78

mystik78 Thread Starter

unfortunately i do not have another computer to try the drive in.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you installed the drive did you set the Master/Slave jumpers accordingly? On each IDE drive one drive needs be set to Master, and the other to Slave; I've seen drives partially work if this was set incorrectly. However, I still think there may be a problem with the actual drive.

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I've always thought Sony drives were crap, I have a CDRW (CRX215E1) from them and it worked for about 6 months, I've tried on many different PC's, its jut not worth it to get a Sony drive I highly reccomend against buying from them. If I were you I'd RMA/Return it if you still can, I would but my drive is too old already, get rid of it while you can and buy a quality drive!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice