1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with new MAxtor HArd Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cwe41420, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwe41420

cwe41420 Thread Starter

About a month ago I purchased a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 Hard drive. Once I got the hard drive I realized that it was not compatible with my computer. I emailed the company I bought the drive from and they told me to buy Serial ATA Adapter. After installing the drive and adapter and from what I understand as all the software, the Hard drive is recognized as as being connected, but is not showing up under my computer or anywhere where the drive can be used.

I am just wondering if there is something here that I am missing or have overlooked. any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    Clint

2. Moby

Moby

Have you formatted the drive? Go into control panel, admin tools, disk management. Does the drive show there?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's actually Control Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. :)

4. Moby

Moby

Yeah, there.
    Cheers John.
    ;)

5. cwe41420

cwe41420 Thread Starter

no it does not show the drive in the disk management section

6. cwe41420

cwe41420 Thread Starter

My PC recognizes a drive on startup and asks me to enter RAID by hitting F4, and I looked through it for awhile but didnt see anything which I knew would make a difference. Then it just bypasses it and windows startsup, its like my drive is not connect and does not exist afterwards

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    does it show unallocated space?

8. cwe41420

cwe41420 Thread Starter

where would it show this?

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Admin tools Computer management disk management. It may not list the drive by name up top until you initialize the disk. If it shows any unallocated space in the lower right hand side below your other hard drive(s) this may be the missing drive. The unallocated space should be roughly the same size as your missing drive if it is there.

10. cwe41420

cwe41420 Thread Starter

no it does not show any unallocated space... im so frustrated with this because i spent like $100 on a 200GB HD and then like 50 on all the adapters and **** for my comp and cant seem to get it right

11. cwe41420

cwe41420 Thread Starter

let me rephrase one thing, when i said that it recognized something was plugged in, is and only is recognized on startup, it says something about not being able to initialize RAID component or something to that manner.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is the Hard drive by chance a Sata II hard drive and the controller possibly a Sata I controller?

13. jackdw

jackdw

That works. I have a sata two hard drive. Thing is, my sata is on the motherboard, although only sata one it still works.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's talking about RAID, you are probably connecting it to a RAID controller. You may need the drivers for the RAID controller, even if you don't intend to use the RAID capability. How about an exact make/model of the MB, and which SATA connection you're using? Did you try other SATA connectors for the drive?

15. cwe41420

cwe41420 Thread Starter

not exactly sure as to how to give you the exact make/model of the MB and that other information.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice