1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thoramir, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thoramir

Thoramir Thread Starter

I've recently assembled a new PC and am unable to get it to boot up. When I turn it on a receive a repeated beeping noise, it will beep a dozen or so times very rapidly, pause for a second, and then continue beeping rapidly until you shut it down. Here are the specs:

Gigabyte GA-INXP
    2.53 Ghz P4
    2 256 DIMMs of DDR 333 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 9700 pro

I've removed all extra components. A information sheet that came with the board suggested that I check to see whether the video card is properly seated, it is and to change out the memory (I've done everything conceivable with the memory, I've even changed it out with memory from a different source) but nothing seems to be resolving the issue. I've check all the connections and made sure everything is hooked up properly and made sure that the motherboard hasn't shorted on anything (including the case). Anyone got any ideas?

2. n2gun

n2gun

On a lot of new boards just getting the memory to snap into place is not enough. What you want to try is to somehow support right under the memory slot you are using and push down even harder. The easiest way is to have the board laying flat on something non-conductive and push down on it. Have heard of several cases were this solved the problem.

If that is a no-go then try the video card in a different slot. There may be a conflict with something else or the slot is not working. Also if there is onboard video, check the bios and see if you can turn it off(the manual should tell you).

3. Thoramir

Thoramir Thread Starter

It's an AGP card and there's only one slot for it, but I'll try pushing the memory in harder.

4. Thoramir

Thoramir Thread Starter

Unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue.

5. Rockn

Rockn

Is your heat sink secure and placed on your CPU properly? Sounds more like a thermal warning.

6. Thoramir

Thoramir Thread Starter

Should be, I've even taken the CPU heatsink/fan off to make sure that 1) the processor was inserted properly and 2) I was using enough thermal paste between the heatsink and the processor.

7. Rockn

Rockn

Are all of the fans on the power supply, CPU and video card all working? Check the BIOS to make sure the temp threshold isn't set too low

8. Thoramir

Thoramir Thread Starter

They're all working, but I can't get to the BIOS because it doesn't post.

9. Rockn

Rockn

Do you also have the additional power connector hooked up for the Radeon card?

10. Thoramir

Thoramir Thread Starter

11. Rockn

Rockn

Try running the motherboard outside of the case to see if anything is shorting out the motherboard. A misplaced standoff can wreak havoc. Only put the bare minimum on the board when it's out of the case....CPU, video and memory.

12. Thoramir

Thoramir Thread Starter

Done that. :(

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice