1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with newly installed RH9

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by darkside, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkside

darkside Thread Starter

I am new to the whole linux scene. I am currently learning to use it on my home system, which i have set up as a dual boot WinXP and RH9 system, because i need it for programming classes. In the labs at school, when you r done with typing in a program, the command to compile is "g++", but when i attempt this with the RH9 i just installed, it says that this does not exist. I was thinking that it would be a standard feature with the os since my college used it. If anyone can tell me how to get this to work, or a different way to compile, i would greatly appreciate it.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Find the rpm on one of the cd's and install it. Not sure which cd it is on, I will look when I get home from work.

3. darkside

darkside Thread Starter

thanks for responding. i havent looked yet, but could you briefly explain how to install an rpm, since i probably wont be able to unless it is just like installing in windows.

4. Squashman

rpm -ivh name_of_file.rpm

Looks the file is on disk 2.

5. darkside

darkside Thread Starter

thanks...any chance you know or have an idea of what the name_of_file woud be? ill look, but i dont think ill be able to figure it out....

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

7. darkside

darkside Thread Starter

i tried installin a rpm labeled gpp-c++-something.rpm, but the compile command that i use at school still wont work. if anyone knows how to get g++ to work and compile programs written in Vi on red hat 9, or what the standard compiler for c++ in Red hat 9 is, i would greatly appreciate any information at all.

8. Squashman

Not sure. Works on my Rh9 server.

9. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

10. darkside

darkside Thread Starter

thanks for all the responses and links, i think i found which rpm i need. now i can get back to learning rh9....

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Congrats on becoming a convert. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice