1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with ntoskrnl.exe and ntfs.sys, need help working this out.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lewishay, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewishay

lewishay Thread Starter

Ok, so basically my PC likes to blue-screen SOMETIMES when I am using my Line 6 POD audio recording device via USB. It is seemingly random. My PC never crashes or has problems when I am not using the POD, so I am sure the problem is related to the use of this device. I posted my issue on the Line 6 forums, and they advised me to post a WhoCrashed log so they could see what was causing the crashes. They then advised me to seek help on other forums as the things that were causing the problem were of Windows nature and not because of a problem with the POD Device or it's drivers. Here is the WhoCrashed log of my latest crash:

On Tue 12/13/2011 5:50:34 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121311-17737-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
    Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8000360DA9B)
    Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 12/13/2011 5:50:34 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x7E70)
    Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8000360DA9B)
    Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT File System Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

Like I said, the crashes happen sporadically either at some point during my use of the POD, or just after I turn it off. Those two files that are in the WhoCrashed log are reccuring causes of my crashes. So can anyone here shed some light on my situation? I'm not sure what the deal is here, and the POD itself seems to work fine whenever I am using it with or without the PC, it's obviously just these blue-screens and stuff that is making the whole thing a problem.

Things I have already tried:
    Full system malware scan
    Updated all drivers for my POD, gfx card, sound card, etc. Been to the Dell website and got all updates for my specific PC model.
    Used a different USB port for the POD.

Also, if it helps, there are sometimes other odd occurances that happen when I am using the POD. Just today, my sound crashed whilst I was using the POD. There was nothing I could do to get the sound back, and programs like Windows Media Player would just crash upon loading them. I went into Control Panel and Sound to try and change the options there, but that was crashing too. Restarting the POD or unplugging it via USB made no difference, and I was forced to restart my PC in order to get any sound back (via POD or just normal speakers). Although of course, as I went to restart my PC, it was stuck on the "shutting down" screen infinately (I waited a good 10 minutes, and it shouldn't take longer than 10 seconds) so I had to manually shut it down by holding the power button on my PC.

I'll provide a screenshot I took of the sound control panel just before I had to restart.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the huge post and I am very greatful to anyone that can help me out here. I have posted this on Windows Answers but they seem to be giving me quite vague and generic troubleshooting options, which I am happy to do, but sadly they are not helping my problem. What I am hoping is that someone knows why those 2 specific things are causing my crashes and odd activity when I use the POD X3 device. THANKYOU!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 425 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 3
    RAM: 4094 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 294230 MB, Free - 104644 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 04GJJT
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice