1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with nVidia Graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulclane, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulclane

paulclane Thread Starter

I have updated my nVidia 6600GT card to an nVidia Quadro FX3400 professional card. The card works fine, but XP professional (64bit) still thinks the card is a 6600GT. I un-installed the drives and downloaded the lastest from the nVidia website, but to no avail. Any ideas anybody?

And while I'm at it, if the Quadro FX3400 is using the 6600GT driver, can I install my 6600GT as well, using the second SLI slot, and use them together(seeing that Windows thinks they are both 6600GT's), or is that tempting fate?

2. brite750

brite750

you may need to use a driver remover software to completely wipe your old nvidia drivers off the pc and make sure they are gone before installing new card, as far as sli ing a quadro i dont know if they support that fuction, sli is pretty much a gimicky thing anyway, nvidia's new 7800gtx is better than two 6800ultra in sli function anyway, so even nvidia has moved on.

3. brite750

brite750

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

The drivers you got from the Nvidia site, are they for the quatro?

And no, you can't run the quatro in SLI, SLI won't even run if you have two 6600GT's from different makers.

5. paulclane

paulclane Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for your help. The drivers ARE for the Quadro. I ran detonator RIP, but it came up with an error, probably because I'm running XP Pro 64 bit. I manually deleted all references to the 6600GT in the Registry, but still no luck. I only have the two PCIe cards, so I can't try a third one, to see if the same thing happens to it. So I'm kinda stuck at the moment

6. brite750

brite750

i think youre at the point where a call or email to nvidia is in order, if i'm not mistaken those quadro cards are not cheap, and since the whole point of having one is the drivers then running it as a 6600gt just doesnt cut it.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You might have to call the card mfg, however you might try this before you do.

1 Uninstall your current driver.
    2 Disconnect from the net and reboot the system.
    3 When the found new hardware wiz pops up, cancel it.
    4 Now install the quadro driver.

BTW those cards do not even support sli.

One last ques; are you downloading the driver from the card mfg or from nvidia?

I would use the nvidia quadro driver.

8. paulclane

paulclane Thread Starter

I downloaded the drivers from the nVidia website. The Quadro FX3400 is definitely SLI ready, as you can see from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html. I have another FX3400, but I destroyed that when I was taking it out to add extra RAM. There are two capacitors right where the little release lever is and they were ripped off accidently. The dodgy nVidia soldering didn't help. I resoldered them, but the board was dead. €1,000 down the drain.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok first of all, nvidia does not mfg cards. They make the chipset used on the card. The card itself is made by various mfg ie BFG, Leadtek, Asus, etc. The brand of card I checked with the fx3400 chipset did NOT support sli. You can tell very easily by just looking at the card; does it have the connector for the sli bridge?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/403936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice