1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Office Installation

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by amphibian, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

On every new user computer that I setup (XP Pro), I install Office 2000 on the local admin account w/ run all from my computer selected in custom install screen. After install when I log in with any user name and try to open Outlook I will get an installation error. (cant remember the code) I go to add/remove programs and select the Office program listed and hit "change" button and it will show Office greyed out, like it was never installed even though I selected run all from my computer on the local installation. So I have to select run all again and then update it and it will work....sort of anyways. I will get an outlook error, "cannot find valid source" or something like that when trying to run the program.

The previous technician stated in his notes to add the Data1.msi from the install cd to the root directory and mark as a hidden file. Same with all updates, SR-1 and SP3. Even these steps have not resolved the issue.

Anyone have ideas??? I am getting very frustrated with this situation and cannot locate documentation about this issue. Input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Miz

Miz

3. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.

As you said, its not exactly what I was looking for. I will definately give it a try though. :) Thanks again.

4. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

Well, same problem even after I followed the instructions from the link provided.

What I dont get is my when I do a custom install on the local admin account it doesnt carry over to other user accounts (power users). When I go to add/remove programs, select MS OFFICE from the list and hit "change", it takes me to window. I select "Add/Remove Features", and the next window shows only Outlook greyed out!!! I dont understand why!!! This is unbelievably frustrating!! Am I wrong by installing Office on the local admin account?? Please help!

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Did you previously have Outlook on the PC? I don't think the old version is *automatically* replaced. Also, perhaps Outlook has the admin's profile in it? Just grasping at straws here. If I remember correctly, nobody installs as admin tho.

6. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

Dreamboat, thanks for your response.

All the sytems I work on have no previous versions of Outlook installed.
    What kind of account do people use when installing? Domain account?

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    See potential problems: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328236&Product=offxp

See common install method: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308383&Product=offxp

I don't do installations, so I get a little lost in questions like this. Please forgive me. However, it looks like the common install method is what you ought to be using. Just because you install it to the network doesn't mean they RUN it from the network, they just run the INSTALLATION from the network. I think that's your best bet.

8. amphibian

amphibian Thread Starter

Ok, got it figured out.

I did an custom installation of Office 2000. After install I checked the Office configuration (add/remove programs> select office and "change"> add/remove features) and Outlook was still greyed out, like a component didnt install. Expanded the list and a Fax component was highlighted as "install on first use". The problem I have been having this whole time is because of this stupid thing.

Anyways...I disabled that item and started Outlook. I no longer get the installer error when opening, on any username!!! Glad its working now! ;)

Thanks for your time Dreambot and Miz, very much appreciated! (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice