Problem with PC startup and Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

danuk459

Hello Everyone,

My friend is currently having an issue with his computer, that is something I am unable to solve, he has had some problems in the past, but I have fixed them, but this one has completely stumped me.

Here is what happens:

When he turns it on, his task bar will either remain as its current colour and nothing will load, or it will come up with the alert message that internet explorer has stopped working, this resets the task bar to windows xp classic however the programs and applications will work as normal.

Sometimes when switched on the screen will not come on at all and nothing will happen.

This is the same for his internet browsers, they will work when the task bar is normal, and when it changes to classic, they will not work along with all other applications and games.

When he attempts to shut down his computer, the computer will just stay with a black screen and do nothing, after a while a message will appear saying that the computer is waiting for download manager. This will happen all the time and the only way to shut down is by a force shut down, otherwise the message will not go away and the computer will not stop.

From all of this, I can only work out that something has gotten into his computer and is either messing with the start up of the computer or is stopping any applications from working.

Any ideas?

Any help would be grateful, thanks. :)

TerryNet

Terry
Does Safe Mode work OK?

Try normal mode w/o IE starting automatically.

danuk459

I've tried running it in safemode, this just stops any connection to browsers, and some applications work and some don't.

I've checked for error, does a full boot scan and got rid of about 3-4 infected files, but the problem still persists. I havn't tried a memory check, so i'll see if that works, thank you :)

TerryNet

Terry
So, you're indicating that in Safe Mode you still get "his task bar will either remain as its current colour and nothing will load, or it will come up with the alert message that internet explorer has stopped working"?

danuk459

No in safe mode it resets back to xp standard task bar, and the internet explorer alert message does not appear. But like I said, even in safe mode some application will work and some won't :(

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What are the spec's of this problem machine?

danuk459

Sorry for the late reply. I'll be out this week end and for a few days after, then i'll get the specs for you. Thanks for your patience :)

danuk459

His Specs are unavailable, and what I mean by this is that when you go into computer properties they are listed but unavailable. So normally next to RAM is would state how much there is, however it shows RAM but where it should say how much, it says unavailable, and this is the same for everything in the listing. So i'm unable to tell you the specs, and seeing that this has happened, things seem really bad.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Im thinking a corrupted OS. Is there any chance that a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows is in the running?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online