Problem with Port forwarding on BT Voyage 210 Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

roguesooty

Hi all

I'm having a lot of trouble getting a test website on my local machine to be available on the net.
I've registered the domain and have pointed the DNS to my public IP. The Router is a BT VOyager 210 ADSL router. This then connects to a switch which has 2 machines running from it.
The Web server machine has been given a static IP and it's IP has been reserved on the routers DHCP.
I've added the port forwarding rule for port 80 but when I either goto the URL or the public ip I get the Router configuration screen. I've tried TELNET to the router on port 80 and it appears to connect but all I get is a load of HTTP code and at the end it says that you need to supply a valid user name and password.
all firewalls are off.
I'm now at a loss as to why the port forwarding is not working. Can anyone help?

many thanks

Simon

I couldn't really find a User Guide/Manual in a quick google - if you got one with the device consult it for Remote Management; might be your problem.
Quite often the Remote Management page of the router itself is on port 80. Have you that facility and is it enabled?
If so you could disable it.
Or if you need/want to use it then move it off onto an obscure port and then continue to use port 80 for you web-server.

If traffic is hitting the external address port 80, but it is not passing that traffic to the internal IP on that port then it may be:
- Access control rules are not directing all incoming traffic to the internal network (likely)
- No route to the internal address on the router (unlikely)
- The port fowarding rule is applied inbound to the LAN interface, rather than inbound on the WAN interface (likely)

Whatever it is you do not want that router GUI reachable externally. It will take someone two minutes to crack and exploit that. The issue seems to be that the traffic coming in on port 80 is not hitting your rules so is going to the router on port 80, hence the router homepage appearing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online