1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem With Port Forwarding

Discussion in 'Games' started by CatFace, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CatFace

CatFace Thread Starter

I want to make a server for a game called "Garry's Mod" there are a lot of ports people say to open and I don't know which ones to do, I have tried most of them and I use a port checker and it says the ports are closed. I have Windows 7 and a Netgear. My Neatgear's model isn't on sites like portforward.com, the model I have is a WGR614v10. If any of you could help me that would be great. If you need to contact me emal me at "edited out"

2. onca

onca

I've never played garry's mod, but isn't it based on the source engine? If that's the case, most of their servers run on port 27015. By default anyway.

So just go to your routers web interface and forward port 27015 (TCP & UDP).

Good luck.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Firstly, please don't post your email address on any public forum. You are leaving yourself wide open to get flooded with pointless spam emails and the link.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection to your Netgear?

4. buffoon

buffoon

Hi CatFace and welcome,

I've edited out your email address from your post. Better this way as Tanis has stated above

5. Lichemperor

Lichemperor

I have to say that Netgear routers are the worst for online gaming. They are very temperamental and generally port forewarding is something that they do not accomplish well.

I know from experience.

I've helped lots of people, friends and over the internet associates set up their router for port forewarding. Then it came to my own. A Netgear. One of the most infuriating pieces of hardware I have ever had to deal with!
    Suffice to say, I got a new router!
    I'd have to suggest the same so to avoid hours of wrestling with that stubborn piece of work.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I suppose alot of this is down to personal preference, personally, I have owned a Netgear router for the last 6-7 years and have never had a problem setting up port forwarding on it when I have needed to, which is only once on Borderlands in order to host games through Steam. This is no longer a problem since the game was patched to fix the issue quite some time ago.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice