1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameman, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a problem with Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600XT 256MB video card. I installed it on a a Asus p4b533-E motherboard and I get a POST error "failed due to CPU overclocking" yet I am not overclocking the system. I assume this means that the card won't work with my MB, but would like confirmation. Seems a odd POST error though for a card comatablity problem.

-Game

2. onsite

onsite

ok , is this vdeo card a
    pci express, agp, pci ?

what was the video card that was in there before, embeded, pci, agp ...etc ?
    does this video card have an extra power connector ?

what is the watt rating of your power supply, might not be enough
    try going into bios and setting the ddr ram to a lower freq,
    i don't think it is the card i think it is the mainboard , NOT ENOUGH POWER

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

It is a AGP card. What was in before (and at this moment) is a Radeon 7500. The power supply is a 450w. As for the BIOS. I can't even get into the BIOS. It just gives the POST error and stops.

-Game

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you try to clear the cmos on the motherboard? Also, if the motherboard has onboard video, sometimes there is a jumper setting that has to be changed to disable it?

5. onsite

onsite

agreed, i think you should clear the cmos

6. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

There isn't any onboard video. And as I said it works fine with the old card, so I don't see how that will help cleraning it. But I will try it.

-Game

7. ~Candy~

Post #3 confuses me :confused: Are you changing cards to the same exact model? :confused:

8. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Ah sorry didn't mean to confuse you. No I am not. I put the old board back in so that I can use the system (using it right now as I type this actually). I will give it another try and clear the CMOS in the next day or so.

-Game

9. ~Candy~

Ok. Thanks for that ;)

Also, you might need to remove all drivers for the old card before shuting down and changing cards.

10. ~Candy~

And just for fun, try to disconnect cdrom power, floppy power, anything else that may be drawing power, and see if you can get a post ;)

11. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Welcome and as for the drivers, yes I did that when I installed the card (had to reinstall them though after I put the old card back in, but I will do it before I try again).

And yes good idea about removing power from different devices to see if I can get a POST. I will try that as well.

-Game

12. ~Candy~

By the way, does this card have an extra power connector on it? If so, is it connected to the motherboard?

13. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

No it doesn't. The next model 9700 did but the 9600 does not.

-Game

14. onsite

onsite

the extra power connectors usually connect to the power supply, using a floppy connector.

15. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Yes and it does not have that or a molex conector. No connectors except the exposed ports on the back (DVI, VGA, S-Video). So it only draws it power only from the MB directly.

-Game

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice