1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eggs, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eggs

eggs Thread Starter

hello, i bought a ram upgrade for my hp (i have SDRAM i used to have a 128 stick and i replaced it with a 512 stick)

i have installed ram dozens of times so i kind of know what im doing but im no expert on hardware

anyway i have 1 dvd rom, 1 cdrw drive, 1 floppy and 1 hard drive, i had to unplug the cables from the back of the 2 cd roms to access the ram slots (turns out i ddint actually have to do that becuase aparently hp cases have removable sections and now i feel like an ***)

i tired putting everyhting back together and my computer turns on but there are no BIOS beeps and it freezes at the blue "HP" screen (before it even shows the BIOS system check screen). i put my old ram stick back in to see if it was just the ram, but i still have the same problem

all the master/slave IDE cables are connected correctly and there is power running to all 4 drives, however there are a few random wires just kind of hanging around and im not 100% sure if they were being used or not before i pulled them, but i had two of my friends check it out and they said they thought everything looked ok

i pressed the num lock key to see if it lights up (to check if its frozen) and it works for about 4 seconds before it freezes up)

any ideas what may be causing this?

2. eggs

eggs Thread Starter

i found this info about my model computer:

Base processor and speed
    AMD T-bird 900 MHz processor (Slot A)
    Maximum HP supported replacement: AMD T-Bird 1 GHz
    Chipset
    AMD Irongate Chipset

Memory
    Component
    Attributes

RAM (standard)
    128 megabytes (MB) PC 100

Maximum
    512 MB (2 x 256 MB DIMM)

Speed
    100 MHz synchronous

Sockets
    Two 168-pin DIMMs

Free DIMM slots

Size
    16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 MB DIMMs

Pairs required
    No

Type supported
    SDRAM, 100 MHz,
    Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM specification,
    revision 1.0 compliant

someone please tell me a didn't fry my mother board by putting in the 512 stick...

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

I doubt you fried it but you may need to find out where to put those extra cables. Next get a boot disk, dissconnect all your ide devices and see if it will post further.

Be sure to try to enter setup if you can and reautodetect your hard drives

It is also possible that something is loose or a screw or metallic component is shorting out the board somewhere.

And as always sometimes a cmos clear can help.

Cheers

4. vynsane

vynsane

well, it seems that it doesn't support a 512 stick... only 256's in each slot for a max of 512, so that could be the problem... don't know how that could affect the board, however. it doesn't seem that it would fry the MB, but you never know.

make sure the original 128 mb ram stick is fully seated when you replace it - an improperly installed module can cause a freeze at BIOS...

5. eggs

eggs Thread Starter

OK i basically took the computer apart and put it back together, then i pulle dout the BIOS battery and put it back in

now instead of it going to the HP screen and just freezing, i have no video, but i DO hear bios beeps (1 long, 2 short)

i looked up what that means and it says "Video adapter failure" (which makes sense becuase there is nothing on the monitor)

any ideas on how i could fix this?

6. Rockn

Rockn

Well your video card is probably not seated correctly if it did work previously. Did you read vynsane's post above about the RAM limitation of 512MB TOTAL? 256MB in each of the 2 sockets??

7. eggs

eggs Thread Starter

yeah i just returned that other ram for a 256 stick, i tried reseating the video card but it didnt work, so i just gave up and took it into best buy to have them honor my PSP plan and fix it for free.

thanks for all of your help though, much appriciated.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice