1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with ram

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bluebeast, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluebeast

bluebeast Thread Starter

my brother has a HP pavilion 8756c. It came with 128ram. About 6 months a go i added another stick of 128 for him so he would have 256. It worked fine until now. It says he only has 255 when you check it in his properties. But his bios still says 256. I have switched the ram around still nothing. I put my ram which is still PC100, but 512 and it read 511. He would not care but if a game requires 256 he cant play it says he doesn't have enough ram. It is only reading 255 of it. Or 127 if i take one out. What has happened to his PC. I have already deleted windows, reinstalled it. And I have checked to see if there is a bios update for his machine , but there is not. Well according to hp. PLEASE HELP.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Strange math as from the specs it says the video is sharing 11 megs of memory, so I would think windows would show 128 minus 11, not minus 1....unless that can be and was tinkered with in the bios setup and 1 is the minimum, which doesn't sound right.

3. bluebeast

bluebeast Thread Starter

when i first put it in for him it said 256. And he could play any game that required 256. Now all of a sudden it says he doesn't have enough. Says 255. What could have caused the change, and is there any way to fix it. I would hate for my bro to have to install 512 just so he could play a game that requires 256. It would still say 511 and would not be able to play a game that requires 512. Not like theres allot of games out that require 512, but you see what i mean.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I really don't know what could be happening. Have you tried calling HP to see if they've ever heard of it happening?

5. billoo

billoo

I think you are being showed the right ammount of ram. May be following link from a message board can satisfy you. Especially read the answer given by Whooze.

http://www.help2go.com/postt3957.html

6. bluebeast

bluebeast Thread Starter

OK thanks for all the information, it has been helpful. When he first got his PC it came with 128mbs. He had no trouble playing a game that required 128. Now all of a sudden if the game requires 128 it says he does not have enough memory. So obviously something has happened, whether its in the bios or what i do not know. And I know its not the memory it self cause I have tried different sticks. I talked to my dad on the phone after I posted the question. He had talked to a friend of his that owns a PC repair shop, he said he has ran across the problem before but has never been able to fix it. That it was in windows. After a while it can just happen, it could be on a reboot or what ever the case my be but it will all of a sudden not show. He also said it doesn't hurt anything accept playing a game that requires that amount of ram. He said if he finds the answer he will share as will I.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice