1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with RealVNC setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by makavel1, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. makavel1

makavel1 Thread Starter

Hello
    I recently installed realvnc on my parents home(no router, dsl, windows xp pro, all updates) and configured it.
    Configuration:
    1. When I installed realvnc i checked that box that said "VNC PASSWORD AUTHENTICATION" and made a password by going to configuration tab.
    2. Then i checked the "ENCRYPTION" tab and I hit the generate key.
    3. I also changed the port from 5900 to 1724.
    - The computer is running Zone Alarm internet suite. When it first prompted me about vnc, i gave it access,"always give access", so i am not sure if that would be a problem.

When i ran vnc viewer from the computer that has vnc server installed it worked fin, I was able to log on and it asked me for password. But when I came back to my home and tryed to connect to my parents home pc(vnc server) with my computer I got the following message:

FAILED TO CONNECT: CONNECTION REFUSED (10061)

the day before today, I got a similar message but it said that the connection timed out.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. amaru96

amaru96

Hi, when you say you ran "VNC viewer from the computer that has VNC server installed" you mean you ran it locally? So you ran VNC viewer on the same computer that has VNC server installed - correct? If so, ZoneAlarm is only responding to a "local" request, not an internet based request.

When you went home and tried to connect to your parents PC (vnc server) I would say that ZoneAlarm is blocking you. You will need to do some configuring on ZoneAlarm to allow you in. Either specificy that your IP address is let through or open the port which VNC server is using.

Try shutting down ZoneAlarm and then try connecting. If it lets you make a connection then ZoneAlarm is the problem, if not it's something else.

Good luck.

3. makavel1

makavel1 Thread Starter

Hello
    I tryed turning off Zone alarm but that didnt do the trick. I also tryed changing ports and that didnt work. Also tryed disabling password authetication and that did not work....

4. throdne

throdne

Hello,

Have you tried using the default port 5900 for VNC viewer, and 5800 for web? One thing is that some ISP have some port blocked, 5900 I would think they wouldn't block that one, but one way to find out is to call you support for the ISP and ask "if those ports are closed." another thing is window's firewall, you might have to open port for it there, I don't know how zone alarm works, but Windows firewall might still be on, and you might want to look into that. i was having the say problem with my apache server, windows wasn't reading that apache was trying to use port 80 and never asked me to open that port. So, in the end i have to manually open those ports.

I Hope I Helped, Throdne.

5. amaru96

amaru96

Are you able to ping the PC over the net?

6. jonno112

jonno112

I noticed you did,nt mention nat or port forwarding on the dsl modem was it done.

7. jackdw

jackdw

He said no router. Therefore he is using a modem which means the PC gets all ports as it is effectively the router.

8. jonno112

jonno112

I don't really understand what you meant above (jackdw). I asked him a pretty straight forward question, thats cool.

The way i run VNC is if you don't have a static ip address you should go to Dyndns www.dyndns.com/ and create a hostname that points to your dynamic IP.

An example is name.homeip.net

Make sure your DSL modem points to the computer ip you are trying to reach, in the firewall allow ports 5800 and 5900 or whatever you chose to get thru.

Keep Zone alarm off until you get it running, then try with ZA.

I have VNC as an emergency backup if Remote desktop fails for some reason.

I hope this helps.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is the make/model of that DSL modem? Are you sure it's not a modem/router that will require port forwarding?

10. jackdw

jackdw

Jonno, a router takes an internet connection and shares it between x amount of computers. a Modem takes an internet connection and makes the computer the router effectively. This means all ports are forwarded to the computer with the modem, just like the router would have all ports forwarded to it.

Therefore, if it is a modem he is using, there is no need to forward any ports, just check the computer's firewall is not blocking anything.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice