1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with recovering PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sgaltair, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgaltair

sgaltair Thread Starter

Ok, so I had a stroke of stupidity a while back, my friend had just introduced me to torrents. So I was trying to get all kinds of movies as fast as I could, which led to the complete and utter destruction of my computer. I was downloading videos from unsafe sites, with very little knowledge or caution, and I ended up getting a trojan which disabled my firewall and AV and thus completely killed my comp. I am not as naive and stupid as I was and my second computer (the one I had before the dead one) is and has been working wonderfully ever since I started being careful and scanning all the time etc...

Now, the problem: The computer that died (yeah, that's the technical term) won't even start up at all. It starts and doesn't even get to the pretty little Windows XP screen with the loading bar. It gets to a black screen with white text and tells me to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, which of course does the same thing over again. I have finally gotten a bootable version of windows xp and I have it burnt to a disk and everything, now when I try to install it it says that I need to select the partition on which to install windows xp, so I select the main partition (C and it then says it needs to (re?)format it, ok no problem, I tell it to go ahead, (using the "quick" option) and, after about 5 seconds, tells me this (exactly quoted):

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows XP.
    To continue, press ENTER.

So I press enter, and think "If I need to select another partition, I will just delete the main one and crete a new one", makes sense right? Well after I do that, it still requires me to reformat, and I still end up with the same problem. I tried the regular option (instead of quick) for reformatting, and it sat there and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for 5 minutes, so I just assumed I would get the same error, just in more time.

So, what do I do? I need to get this fixed asap, hopefully without spending money.

Is it possible that the virus(es) that I got complete destroyed any possibilty of future use of this hardrive? I hope not, I don't have money to spend...

I decided to let it try the regular, as opposed to the quick, formatting option...
    I am currently at a page that says :

Please wait while Setup formats the partition
    C: Partition1 [Unknown] 58636 MB (58636 MB free)
    on 58644 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapie [MBR]

Then it has a thing that says :
    Setup is fomratting...
    0%

It's been that way for a good hour or more, so... what do I do.

I anticipate your assistance, please reply ASAP. (I want my computer back! lol)

-altair

2. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Give it another hour, if it's still at 0% then the drive is toast. I regularly format my sexy little 20 gig drive and it usually takes about 45 minutes via the Format C: route.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are using an illegal copy of Windows, so we can't help you get that running. In addition, we don't support the use of P2P applications here. Please refer to the TSG Rules before your next post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!