Problem with Remote Desktop on XP Pro SP3

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ImagingGuy2015

ok i have a winXP pro desktop im trying to connect to.

i can connect with remote desktop fine through the lan.

to gain access over the net, i added port 3389 to port forwarding and triggering (tried just forwarding, just triggering and both, same result) on my router and directed it to the intended computers IP address 192.168.101

i also have port 80 directed to the same ip.

I disabled windows firewall and my 3rd party firewall for testing.

when i try to connect over the internet I enter in the IP I got from whatismyip.com i get "cannot connect to remote computer" error.

I dont know much about remote desktop but under the "connect from anywhere" settings button under the advanced tab in remote desktop I can change the settings from automatic to "use these settings". I enter the ip address i got from whatismyip.com as the server name.

now when i try to connect i get to the logon screen, but when i enter username and password i get "this computer cannot connect to remote computer because Terminal Services gateway server address is unreachable or incorrect, type a valid server address"

tried checking the "use my TS gateway setting for remote computer" tab and that did nothing.

If anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. i heard remote desktop was supposted to be somewhat idiot proof. i guess im proving them wrong lol

thanks, jeff

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online