1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Saving images/ and viewing "My Pictures"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by AxeBaker, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AxeBaker

AxeBaker Thread Starter

I was wondering if there are any easy solutions with my problem. Everytime I attempt to view my photos in "My pictures" an error pops up and the file closes. This also happens when I try to save photos from the internet. For example: If i went on google and searched images and try to save one internet explorer closes automatically.
    Additional information: I have 111 GB with 93GB free, I have over 600 image files in "my pictures" and this problem started to occur once I purchased a Sony Cyber-Shot camera and installed their software: Cyber-shot viewer.

If anyone has any solutions it would be very appreaicated. I do not want to lose the pictures I have saved.

Thanks

2. slipe

slipe

For starters right click on one of the pictures, “Open With” and choose the Windows Pictures and Fax Viewer. If it opens OK, do the same thing but go Open With > Choose Program. Check the box to always use this program and select the Pictures and Fax Viewer again.

Irfanview is a much more useful free viewer if you care to download it from www.irfanview.com Get the free plug-ins as well. When you install it select “Images Only” when asked for associations.

Get back if you can’t “open with” the Windows Viewer.

3. AxeBaker

AxeBaker Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply slipe

Yes I tried that (opening photos with windows pictures and fax viewer) and it worked. I even tried changing the software that I use to view photos. But I cant even get inside "My Pictures" without and error popping up and the folder closing (also everything on my desktop/taskbar disapears for a second that comes back).

4. slipe

slipe

I would guess you have already tried uninstalling the Sony viewer. Most Sony cameras are PTP and don’t require any specialized software on XP.

5. Knotbored

Knotbored

What Slipe said-Irfanview is superior to Sony software (I have two Cybershots-tried that included software)
    If you want to also get Picasa for easy viewing it works well also and doesn't interfere with Irfanview.

6. wilson44512

wilson44512

try to save some pictures in a new folder. in the documents. and not in my picture folder. and see if that makes a differents?
    besides Irfanview another good viewer is faststone.

http://www.faststone.org/

7. AxeBaker

AxeBaker Thread Starter

I can view photos that are on my desktop, and I saved those to a different folder and I can view them. But I can no longer save any new photos(For ex. from the internet) because once I press save photo, the file the automatically comes up where i would save the photo to is "my pictures".
    Does anyone know why this could possibly happen? I appreciate the suggestions of other software to use to view photos, but why can't I use the software I currently have?

Thanks again for the replies

8. wilson44512

wilson44512

when you right click on a picture. and then click on "save picture as" or it say "save image as"
    a window pops up. then from there you can navigate to any folder to put the picture in.

[​IMG]

9. AxeBaker

AxeBaker Thread Starter

Yes, but the file that pops up for me when I do this is "My Pictures" like it automatically assumes that I want to save my image in the "my pictures" folder. And once that happens it automatically closes along with internet explorer. It does not give me the option like the exmaple you have provided

10. slipe

slipe

My best guess is that the Sony software has formed some sort of relationship with My Pictures that is causing you problems. I have a Sony camera and have not loaded any Sony software, nor have I loaded any for other digital cameras. I think you will find most of the experienced people on the board aren’t very familiar with most software that comes with cameras with the occasional exception of raw conversion software.

If you like your Sony software and don’t want to continue without it I would suggest Sony tech support as your first stop.

You might find someone who has encountered the problem and found a fix on a Sony board:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1009 or
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=28

Most programs that download and organize photos allow you to choose where they go. Maybe if you had the Sony software send them somewhere other than My Pictures it would free up My Pictures.

TweakUI, one of the free M$ Powertoys, will move the My Pictures that Windows defaults to. I don’t recommend it, but it does work.

11. wilson44512

wilson44512

try firefox

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice