Problem with SB PCI128 in combination with Wireless LAN

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MaxPorter

A friend wants to use an old Windows machine (98 SE) for wireless internet. I completely re-installed Windows 98. After some McAfee and other stuff I installed the wireless LAN software. First it worked fine. I have the icon on the lower right bottom, I can access internet (signal is weak though). Then I noticed that the sound card didn't work. Probably a driver problem, but after downloading the drivers I could not install them ('no sound card present, please install card'). The sound card used to work. I had an other sound card (SB PCI128), so I plugged that one in. Windows detected the sound card and installed the drivers. Now the sound card is working but the wireless LAN isn't. The wireless LAN utility pops up briefly, but that disappears again. Icon is also gone. My friend re-installed the drivers for the wireless LAN and for a moment the wireless LAN worked again. But not anymore. Soundcard is working properly. Any idea? Is it an IRQ conflict? I thought the wireless LAN (USB stick) doesn't use IRQ...

MaxPorter

Problem solved by removing the WLAN software, re-install the drivers and re-starting the router. And rebooting Windows a LOT of times....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts