1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Problem with schannel.dll and internet access

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Delta-Frank, Jul 17, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Delta-Frank

Delta-Frank Thread Starter

Hello,

I've been trying to solve this problem all day - tried lots of things with no success.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro

There was a glitch during a recent Windows update, and since then I've been having the following problem :
    When I boot, I get a message "C:\WINDOWS\System32\schannel.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.
    The same error comes from different programs like GoogleUpdate.exe or DropboxUpdate.exe

I can use Chrome browser and access the internet with no problems there. However, Outlook, Evernote and other desktop programs can't connect to the internet. (Conversely, the browser version of Evernote works fine).

From my Googling I've tried :

(1) sfc /scannow

Always fails around 82% complete

(2) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Fails with :

Error: 1392

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

(3) Full disk scan - no errors found (in case the disk was failing or had bad sectors).

(4) Tried a system restore to a previous date (didn't work)

Tried a few other minor things but the above were the main consensus from a number of sources.

So, I'm guessing here - but it looks like some Windows Update files were corrupted. I don't have a Windows installation disk - my system came with Win7 installed, and I updated to Win 10 last year.

Any suggestions on what I can do next ?
    I have a lot of programs installed and configuration done, so I would hate to have to go back to a fully clean Win 10 install - that's my last resort.

Thanks, Frank

2. Sponsor

3. managed

managed Allan

You can try an 'in-place upgrade' as shown here :- https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

This should preserve your apps/programs and data, you can use Step 6 if you don't have Win 10 installation media although you can make a Usb stick Or DVD first if you wish.

I would read the whole tutorial before starting, in particular the bit-locker, secure boot and turning your AV off sections.

Delta-Frank likes this.
  4. jenae

jenae

Hi, we have come across this error quite often, usually running a chkdsk on the drive fixes it. Open search and type:- command prompt, search will return command prompt, right click on this and select "run as administrator". An elevated cmd prompt will open in the cmd window copy paste:-

chkdsk/r (press enter) then press Y to run at restart and restart computer. Chkdsk will run takes a long time and will boot to windows when finished.

Back in windows open another cmd prompt, as admin (as shown) and this time copy paste:-

Icacls C:\windows\winsxs (press enter) You will see a list of returned security descriptors, you do not need to do anything.

Next still at the cmd prompt type:-

sfc/scannow (press enter) sfc should now run, Restart computer and see how you go.

Delta-Frank likes this.
  5. Delta-Frank

Thanks for the replies Allan & Jenae.

For the second one (Jenae) - I already scanned/checked the disk - no errors.

For the tenforums method (Allan), I had a lot of problems getting a good copy of Windows 10. My Windows install appears to be corrupt somehow - it was an upgrade from Win 8 (not 7 as I said originally). The Media Creation Tool wouldn't work (apparently a common enough issue) and I couldn't download the ISO file - as MS have disabled this if you're already on Win 10.
    I have finally found a workaround to get a Win10 ISO file and am trying to download this now (from Microsoft - I'm sure there are lots of dodgy versions around elsewhere).

Thanks, Frank

6. jenae

jenae

Hi, yes a reinstall will fix most problems. I hope it goes well for you. The chkdsk is to ensure the integrity of the NTFS file system, and in this instance needs to be run with an R parameter. Now sfc uses the winxsx folder to repair problems there would be another copy of the errant dll, in winsxs. When you get an incomplete or resource protection cannot run message it is often due to a permissions problem, hence the Icacls cmd this restores permissions for this folder to defaults, then sfc can run and effect a repair... just thought I would explain, so others can benefit.

7. Delta-Frank

Thanks jenae - would have retried that if the other option didn't work.

Anyway, the "in-place update" worked eventually. It took a while to get a valid ISO file and get everything to run - but all is running fine again now. Thanks Allan for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193244