1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with screen on Acer Netbook

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PrehistoricCat, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrehistoricCat

PrehistoricCat Thread Starter

I have windows 7 starter on an Acer netbook. The picture is only showing on about 2/3 of the screen - eg, I have a huge black space on the right, and the top of the screen is repeated/tiled at the bottom. I have tried system restore, restarts several times, switched on and off several times and tried to change screen resolution, all with no success. (on the screen resolution box it says the display is 1024 x 768 but the highest resolution is 800 x400 I can't take the slider any higher up. This has been an intermittant problem for some time but usually corrects after a few restarts and shows on the full screen again. However, I've spent several hours today trying to do it and nothing seems to work.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Starter, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1523 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, 2 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152524 MB, Free - 124648 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer,
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hello PrehistoricCat and Welcome to TSG.

Restart the system, and on bootup start tapping F8 On the screen select Safe Mode. Do you have this issue there in safe mode? If not then I suspect corrupted video drivers. Uninstall the drivers there in safe mode and restart the system. Windows will load default drivers for the video. Now go to Acer and download the latest drive for your video.

If you do have this issue in safe mode, this could very well be a hardware problem with the display itself, and needs to be look at by a repair tech.

3. PrehistoricCat

PrehistoricCat Thread Starter

Thanks Lance, sadly yes I do have the issue in safe mode so as you said, it does seem to be a hardware issue and not specifically windows. Will have to see if one of the techies at work can help.

4. Lance1

Lance1

Sorry to hear. I hope the support at your work can help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice