1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Seagate 1TB harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BruinBeer, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

A while back I bought a Seagate 1TB harddrive, but until recently it was just stored away and not used.
    Recently I wanted to expand a XP system I have containing a M4A79XTD Evo mboard, so I just popped in the 1TB. But, to my surprise, the harddrive showed up as only 32MB. So I went into Ubuntu(dualboot with XP) and format the drive, then restart. Back in XP it finally showed up as 939GB. Then I turned off the computer. When I turned it back on later, the drive was back at showing 32MB.

The only thing that worked was when I used ext2 on Ubuntu to format the drive. I wanted to do a clean OS install on the 1TB, but no OS under the sun wants to install, because it jumps back to showing 32MB. I can only store files with Ubuntu under ext2.

I've tried the drive in other computers, with various cables, external enclosures, etc.

So now my question is, do I have a nice looking paperweight, or do I miss something important?

PS: Seagate ST31000528AS

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not say whether it worked correctly or not in another system.

Have you run seagtools on the drive to check its function? If not, do so. Run both the long and short tests.

3. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

No, it didn't work correctly in another system. I did run all the tests with seatools, and no errors came up.

PS: the size is also not showing up correctly in the BIOS of any system I tried.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have tried different cables and systems, most likely the drive is faulty.

As a last try, have seatools zero fill or wipe the drive. Reboot and see if the bios correctly detects the drive. If it still does not, I think the drive has had it.

5. Netghost56

Netghost56

This is apparently a common problem with these drives.

Check out this page for some solutions. It seems to be a BIOS issue.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a good find. Give it a try; here is a link to seatools for dos
    http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Make the bootable cd and reset the capacity as per the article.
    Update your mb to the latest bios prior to running seatools. Do make SURE you fully understand the flashing procedure prior to doing the flash. For asus boards, use ezflash from within the bios.

7. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I'm on vacation now, so I'll try this once I'm back.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1110469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice