Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with Seagate 1TB harddrive

937 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BruinBeer 
#1 ·
A while back I bought a Seagate 1TB harddrive, but until recently it was just stored away and not used.
Recently I wanted to expand a XP system I have containing a M4A79XTD Evo mboard, so I just popped in the 1TB. But, to my surprise, the harddrive showed up as only 32MB. So I went into Ubuntu(dualboot with XP) and format the drive, then restart. Back in XP it finally showed up as 939GB. Then I turned off the computer. When I turned it back on later, the drive was back at showing 32MB.

The only thing that worked was when I used ext2 on Ubuntu to format the drive. I wanted to do a clean OS install on the 1TB, but no OS under the sun wants to install, because it jumps back to showing 32MB. I can only store files with Ubuntu under ext2.

I've tried the drive in other computers, with various cables, external enclosures, etc.

So now my question is, do I have a nice looking paperweight, or do I miss something important?

PS: Seagate ST31000528AS

#4 ·
If you have tried different cables and systems, most likely the drive is faulty.

As a last try, have seatools zero fill or wipe the drive. Reboot and see if the bios correctly detects the drive. If it still does not, I think the drive has had it.

#6 ·
That is a good find. Give it a try; here is a link to seatools for dos
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Make the bootable cd and reset the capacity as per the article.
Update your mb to the latest bios prior to running seatools. Do make SURE you fully understand the flashing procedure prior to doing the flash. For asus boards, use ezflash from within the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.