Problem with Seagate extended storage PS4

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Andrewc96

I have a seagate extended storage device plugged into my PS4, and it fell out as I was carrying the PS4 (the PS4 was turned off) so I connected it back, and when I turned the PS4 back on it couldn’t detect the device. It made a beeping sound, and eventually stopped and now the PS4 can recognise the device again, but I can’t play the games that are on the device, it says I have to format the device as extended storage again for some reason to use it. Should I do this? Will this affect the data on the storage device? If so, the PS4 also has online storage of the same data, will I be able to transfer that over to the seagate?

Last edited:

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
You’d have to download all the games which were stored on the external hard drive & possibly restore your game saves from the PS cloud backup.

Andrewc96

You’d have to download all the games which were stored on the external hard drive & possibly restore your game saves from the PS cloud backup.
So if I format the external hard drive again will it delete all the data on it? Also, there is online storage, is that what you mean by cloud backup? If it deletes all the data on the extended storage device it will still be saved in online storage, right? And I’ll just be able to transfer it over to the extended storage?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Yes it will delete everything.
If you’re a PlayStation Plus Member then game saves are stored online under your account.
If you’ve uploaded the game saves before the drive died (this should be automatic) then they’ll still be there when you reinstall the games on the hard drive. You would choose extended storage as the default download option for installing your games.

Andrewc96

If you’re a PlayStation Plus Member then game saves are stored online under your account.
If you’ve uploaded the game saves before the drive died (this should be automatic) then they’ll still be there when you reinstall the games on the hard drive. You would choose extended storage as the default download option for installing your games.
So I have to reinstall all the games again even though it’s backed up all my game saves? Is there no way to get back the games straight away?

Andrewc96

By the way it still shows all my storage data from my external hard drive and lets me transfer it over to online storage even though the device needs formatting again.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Yes you’ll have to download & reinstall all games which were on the external hard drive.
I would upload any game saves/files which you wish to recover after format.

Andrewc96

Yes you’ll have to download & reinstall all games which were on the external hard drive.
I would upload any game saves/files which you wish to recover after format.
Also, every time I turn on my PS4, the PS4 doesn’t recognise the external hard drive and it beeps for about 5 minutes and then recognises it. Why is this? And will this still happen after I’ve formatted it?

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
It’s doing that to indicate there’s a problem.
It should stop doing it after the format.

I’ve done this with my PS4 after the hard drive was disconnected by accident.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
It may have internal damage.
Is the drive directly connected to the PS4?
Which USB port is it connected to? Have you tried the other port?
You could try using a PC to clean the drive using diskpart then connecting it to the PS4 & then formatting it.
On the PC:
Open Powershell with admin & type-
diskpart
list disk
select disk x (where x is the number of the PS4 drive.)
clean
exit

Andrewc96

It may have internal damage.
Is the drive directly connected to the PS4?
Which USB port is it connected to? Have you tried the other port?
You could try using a PC to clean the drive using diskpart then connecting it to the PS4 & then formatting it.
On the PC:
Open Powershell with admin & type-
diskpart
list disk
select disk x (where x is the number of the PS4 drive.)
clean
exit
Do I type disk 1 clean next to diskpart?
Because when I type disk 1 alone it just gives me a list of different options, one of them being clean. How do I make that happen?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online