1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PROBLEM with SEARCH E-MAIL "FEATURE" in My FastMail.FM E-mail Account

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tausun1, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tausun1

tausun1 Thread Starter

DATE: 24APR2010 (Sat.)

I'm having a problem with my FastMail.FM (i.e., http://WWW.FastMail.FM ) E-mail Account.

...The problem I'm having is that the SPELL CHECK(er) is INSERTING a DOUBLE QUOTES SYMBOL Followed By a GREATER THAN SYMBOL (i.e., "> ) in the WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINKS" that I put in My E-mail Messages whenever it "encounters" a ".COM" in a WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINK" WHEN I DO a SPELL CHECK of an E-mail Message.

(FOR EXAMPLE: A WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINK" such as HTTP://WWW.GOOGLE.COM is often CHANGED TO: HTTP://WWW.GOOGLE">COM .{You should see how the SPELL CHECK[er] completely "TRASHED" one of my E-mail Messages when I put some "LONG" WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINKS" in my E-mail Message. ...The .COM,as mentioned above,was CHANGED TO ">COM . After the .COM was CHANGED TO ">COM ,though,the SPELL CHECK[er] would either TRUNCATE the WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINK" [For example, http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl WAS CHANGED TO: http://maps.google">com ] OR the SPELL CHECK[er] would TRUNCATE the WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINK" AND MOVE the REST OF the WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINK" [ FOR EXAMPLE: maps?hl=en&tab=wl ] to SOME OTHER PLACE in My E-mail Message. ...NOT GOOD,is it ? })

...Since the SPELL CHECK[er] was AUTOMATICALLY DOING THIS whenever I did a SPELL CHECK,it never occurred to me that the WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINKS" that I put in My E-mail Messages were getting "TRASHED".(After all,once WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINKS" are put in an E-mail Message,who checks to see if they're correct,right ? {This is perhaps ESPECIALLY "true" since WEBSITE ADDRESS "LINKS" such as http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:YDThB2OZ0VwJ:www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,589278,00.html+HARVARD+UNIVERSITY+%249.3+MILLION+TO+BUILD+ROBOTIC+BEES&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us are "impractical" for most people to check,right ? })However,I discovered the SPELL CHECK(er) has been doing this since at least JANUARY of 2010.Consequently,I NEED to be able SEARCH MY E-MAIL MESSAGES to FIND the E-mail Messages with the "CORRUPTED" / BAD "Links" in them.

...I sent an E-mail Message to the FastMail.FM E-mail Account WEBMASTER.I was TOLD that the FastMail.FM E-mail Account SEARCH E-MAIL "FEATURE" in My FastMail.FM E-mail Account can NOT FIND a DOUBLE QUOTES SYMBOL Followed By a GREATER THAN SYMBOL Within the "BODY" / TEXT of an E-mail Message because the SEARCH E-MAIL "FEATURE" in My FastMail.FM E-mail Account SEARCHES through "RAW" HTML CODE.(In other words,since a DOUBLE QUOTES SYMBOL Followed By a GREATER THAN SYMBOL is OFTEN USED in HTML CODE {FOR EXAMPLE: <A href="http://www.google.com/"> },I'm being told My FastMail.FM E-mail Account can NOT FIND a DOUBLE QUOTES SYMBOL Followed By a GREATER THAN SYMBOL Within the "BODY" / TEXT of an E-mail Message.{And,yes,I've TRIED to use the SEARCH E-MAIL "FEATURE" in My FastMail.FM E-mail Account to TRY to FIND a DOUBLE QUOTES SYMBOL Followed By a GREATER THAN SYMBOL Within the "BODY" / TEXT of My E-mail Messages. ...It did NOT WORK.The SEARCH E-MAIL "FEATURE" in My FastMail.FM E-mail Account could NOT ["SPECIFICALLY"] FIND a DOUBLE QUOTES SYMBOL Followed By a GREATER THAN SYMBOL Within the "BODY" / TEXT of My E-mail Messages. ...At the time I tried to do the SEARCH of My E-mail Messages,I had 190 E-mail Messages.The SEARCH RESULTS showed that there are 143 E-mail Messages in My FastMail.FM E-mail Account that have a DOUBLE QUOTES SYMBOL Followed By a GREATER THAN SYMBOL Within the "BODY" / TEXT of My E-mail Messages. ...However,I KNOW this is NOT CORRECT because QUITE A FEW of the E-mail Messages that ended up in the E-mail SEARCH RESULTS were E-mail Messages I DIDN'T SEND.[ONCE AGAIN: The FastMail.FM E-mail Account WEBMASTER Told me I ended up with THESE RESULTS because the SEARCH E-MAIL "FEATURE" in My FastMail.FM E-mail Account SEARCHES through "RAW" HTML CODE < INSTEAD OF "simply" creating a "SCRATCH" FILE to SEARCH the "PLAIN" TEXT of an E-mail Message > .]})

...SURELY,there IS a way to MAKE THIS WORK,isn't there ? After all,when a person "COMPOSES" an E-mail Message,an E-mail Account will QUICKLY and "AUTOMATICALLY" STRIP an E-mail Message of ANY FORMATTING and HTML CODING when a person "CLICKS ON" the PLAIN TEXT "Button" or "Link",right ?!!! ...Consequently,it couldn't be that difficult to have an E-mail Account COPY the PLAIN TEXT to a "SCRATCH" FILE or an "INDEX" FILE and then do a SEARCH on the PLAIN TEXT of an E-mail Message,right ????

...I'd GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY ASSISTANCE anyone can provide. (If possible,PLEASE PROVIDE REFERENCES to ANY "RESOURCES"/REFERENCE MATERIAL,okay ??) ...Thank you.

NOTE#1: FastMail.FM has SUPPOSEDLY FIXED the PROBLEM with the SPELL CHECK(er). ...I do NOT KNOW if the SPELL CHECK(er) has ACTUALLY BEEN FIXED,though,because,since I discovered that there was a PROBLEM with the SPELL CHECK(er),I've been using My GOOGLE DOCS Account to TYPE and to SPELL CHECK the E-mail Messages I want to SEND through My FastMail.FM E-mail Account.

...However...this,"of course",STILL does NOT CHANGE the "fact" that I need to be able to SEARCH through My FastMail.FM E-mail Messages in order to FIND the E-mail Messages that have the "CORRUPTED" Website "Links" in them.

NOTE#2: What I'm REALLY LOOKING FOR is "TECHNICAL" INFORMATION I can SEND to the FastMail.FM WEBMASTER in order to TRY to "CONVINCE" the FastMail.FM WEBMASTER that the SEARCH E-MAIL "FEATURE" in FastMail.FM CAN be CHANGED so that it WILL FIND a DOUBLE QUOTES SYMBOL Followed By a GREATER THAN SYMBOL Within the "BODY" / TEXT of an E-mail Message (AND ANY OTHER TEXT a person MIGHT WANT or NEED TO FIND,right ??!!).

ONCE AGAIN: This can NOT be that DIFFICULT,right ??? ...After all,when a person "COMPOSES" an E-mail Message,an E-mail Account will QUICKLY and "AUTOMATICALLY" STRIP an E-mail Message of ANY FORMATTING and HTML CODING when a person "CLICKS ON" the PLAIN TEXT "Button" or "Link",right ?!!!

(ADDITIONAL NOTE: Although it is NOT REALLY what I'm looking for,any information about FREE ONLINE "SOFTWARE" that can QUICKLY and EASILY SEARCH HTML E-mail Messages MIGHT be helpful. ..."Alternatively",information about FREE ONLINE "SOFTWARE" that can QUICKLY and EASILY CONVERT HTML E-mail Messages to PLAIN TEXT FORMAT {WHILE,"of course",LEAVING My "ORIGINAL" HTML E-mail Messages UNALTERED !!!} ...AND...that can THEN SEARCH through the PLAIN TEXT MIGHT be helpful.

...I do NOT have the MONEY to PAY for any "SOFTWARE"/"PROGRAMS",etc.This is WHY the "SOFTWARE"/"PROGRAMS",etc.,would HAVE TO BE FREE.

...I get My INTERNET ACCESS "PUBLIC COMPUTERS" from a LOCAL PUBLIC LIBRARY. Therefore,I can NOT INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice