Solved Problem with Serif PagePlus Starter Edition

bilnrobn

Bill
This program is installed on both my own and my wife's computers. We have almost identical HP all-in-one desktops using the latest Win10 update.

Both computers have Serif PagePlus Starter Edition V2.0.2.9. My computer can no longer send output from the program to our Brother printer, but my wife's can. Both access the same Brother computer, mine by USB cable and hers by WI-Fi.

On both computers, when closing down Serif, the attached box appears. Neither computer has Adobe Flash Player in Program files (x86). I think Windows removed it during an update at some time as it is an obsolete program.

I can work around the problem by using my wife's computer for all Serif work, but it would be more convenient if I could do it on mine.

Attachments

Oddba11

Jim
Might be time to upgrade. That program appears to be up to v4 already.

bilnrobn

Bill
I think you are right, but on checking it tells me I have the latest version. Then follows an error message saying it needs Flash Player to work. My suspicion is that there is no longer a free version and my version was the last one produced. In the meantime Flash Player is also discontinued. Seems I have two options, use my wife's computer which mysteriously continues to run the program and print from it, or buy the paid version.

Oddba11

Jim
I would guess that you are mis-interpreting that message. The "latest version" you are seeing likely means that you have the latest release of v2 (ie: version 2 with all of the updates released for v2). Open the software, goto "help" and one of the choices should be "about" or something similar and it should show the programs details which should include the actual version that you are running. I wouldn't expect a fully patched v4.x to have a "java" issue. But this is all speculation as I've never used that software.

I can't find a reputable place to download v4.0.4. But even v4 is very old and had Windows XP support. PagePlus itself had numerous versions and has also been replaced by Affinity. Having said that, you can still actually buy PagePlus. Amazon has PagePlus X8 for $16.

Also, depending on what exactly you are using it for, there is likely also other free options aside from essentially a stripped down version of a retail product.

Last edited:

bilnrobn

Bill
Serif do have X9 available for download, but it requires my product key issued after 2018. I have my product key but it was issued way before that date. I am afraid if I purchase the Amazon X8 I will still need a product Key I don't have. Maybe I just use my wife's computer. The software on it is identical to mine but for some reason I can't understand, her's still works.
Thanks for your help, it is appreciated, but I think what I have asked is not possible.

Oddba11

Jim
If you buy software, it comes with a product key. Also, I was mistaken. Both X8 and X9 are now showing as no longer available.

As to your actual problem, I can't explain why one is working and the other is not. As the software is still functional on her computer and you know Flash was removed, I would say that the issue is not Flash related.

Have you tried simply uninstalling and then reinstalling on your computer?

And again, there are always free options.

bilnrobn

Bill
Yes I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but there seems to be no option available that will actually install. The problem is that my product key is very old and during install they ask for my post 2018 key. X9 for example did download and began the install process but then up came the request for my post 2018 product key.
Anyway using my wife's computer continues to work and print so I'll just keep using her computer. When we upgrade to new computers I will probably buy Infinity on the assumption it will be able to load my existing PagePlus files.

bilnrobn

Bill
Good thinking and I will do that. The pages in PDF don't come out to the exact original PagePlus docs size and in some cases this is critical, For example business cards where one doc is the front and another the back of the card, which I print back to back and then cut up. But generally, if only for a record of how I did the layout of each doc, is worth doing.
What I could possibly do is download an alternative app and, over a period of time, reproduce each document on the new program.
Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I will mark the thread solved, which isn't quite accurate, but has lead to an alternative answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online