1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Shortcut Windows ME

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shawnaz, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shawnaz

shawnaz Thread Starter

Help. I continue to get the Problem with Shortcut error each time I restart my computer.

The message says - The shortcut 'Event Reminder.Ink' refers to a location that is unavailable. The location could be on a hard drive on this computer, on a network, or on a different computer on your home network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or home network, and then try again.

I have never had my computer connected to a network or a different computer. I currently do not have it connected to the internet- I use it (my laptop) for print shop, scanning, printing, word processing sorts of things and would like to fix the problem as I am not sure if it is serious or not! Thanks Shawna

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

A program that used to start with your computer is no longer present, possibly uninstalled. It may have been a remonder program associated with Works or another program.

In any case, it's gone now and your computer is still looking for it. You need either to reinstall the program that contained the reminder, or remove the shortcut that tries to start it up.

Download and install Startup Control Panel. Then, open your Control Panel and look for the new Startup applet there. Look under each tab until you find the Event Reminder program and then either remove the checkmark so that it no longer tries to start up, or right-clcik and delete it (It will go to the program's "Recycle Bin" in case you ever want to put it back, so these changes are not permanent and irreversible.).

You can also use this program to turn off other programs that start when you boot that you may not want to start.

3. elaich

elaich

It's OK to use a third party program, but why do that for things that Windows has available to begin with?

Click Start>Run and then type in msconfig. Click on the Startup tab and untick everything you don't want running when Windows starts. The only things there that are mandatory are ScanRegistry and SystemTray.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Msconfig is intended for diagnostic purposes. Using it to change the startup configuration will then make it display a warning on boot. That warning can be disabled, but then you will no longer be notified if any changes are being made to your system's startup configuration.

Best to use the correct tools for a job. Regedit will work, too, but the chances of error are greater and the interface more confusing to many.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice