1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with spare hard drive, with accessing files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grumblewink, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grumblewink

grumblewink Thread Starter

Hi there, I hope someone can help, cause i am DESPERATE!

I had an old PC that i kept in my room after I got my new one a couple of years ago. On this PC are video clips of my daughter, hence the reason i kept it!! I have recently decided to take these video clips off that PC and transfer to my new one, as I was worried that I would lose them. My reluctance to doing this sooner is that my old PC was a dinosaur and took 10 minutes to boot!

I started taking the videos today and the PC gave up the ghost, the power isnt working at all. My brother in law works in tech support and talked me through how to plug the hard drive into my new PC so that i can access the files and make a backup. I have done this so everything is ok, however, the folder that I have the videos in keeps saying that access is denied. I think that this may be because i protected the folder on my old PC so that nobody accidently deleted the videos! this piece of security minded stupidity has now bit me in the bum!

I am using windows XP, was using XP on both computers, the difference being that on the old PC there were different user names setup, there isnt on this one, don't know if that is relevant, probably not, since i can access all files and folders on the old hard drive, just not the one that i need to get in to!! :(

If anyone can help, i would be very very grateful, i am so scared i am going to lose the first few years of my daughters life captured in video and photos :(

i probably haven't given enough information for anyone to help, if there is anything you need to know then please let me know, i will respond as quickly as i can!

Thanks for your time and your patience,

Mark

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Mark, that is a very interesting problem, how did you protect that file?

Edit. I will get back to you Mark, that file should be able be retrievable with Linux but some of these other chaps will probably have an easier idea for you with your ordinary windows.
    qldit.

3. grumblewink

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me!

With regard to how i protected the folder, i think i simply chose an option on my old pc where i could make the oflder private. I didnt trust my younger sister who was living with me at the time to not accidently delete the videos of the kids!

4. qldit

qldit

Mark, I am going to suggest you obtain these files and make a CD as suggested, the directions are sketchy but need to be accurately followed.
    This is a possible option for you to prepare to try.
    Can you go to this site..
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/
    and download this program..It is 70 megs
    puppy-2.01r2-seamonkey.iso
    and then go to this site..
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html
    and scroll down and download this program.. (only a few megs tis time)
    BurnCDCC

Place the BurnCDCC program and unpack it into a directory on your desktop.
    Place the Puppy ISO file on your desktop.

Double click the BurnCDCC icon, a burning program should appear, direct it to your desktop puppy.iso file.
    Select the slowest burning speed and close and verify.
    Place a new blank CD disk in your burner, and proceed with the burn.
    This will take several minutes and produce a bootable CD.

When you boot on this CD just leave it, you will see a load of stuff flash by, when you are asked for a keyboard type scroll down and select US qwerty and enter, it will then ask about video, use the default and enter, you will then end up with a booted desktop, select 800 x 600 to make it easier to see, and enter, you should see a sky scene and icons on a desktop,

This system is running entirely in RAM as a ramdrive, complete with all it's programs.
    The CD may be removed from the CDROM.

At this point just familiarise yourself with this program, don't try to save anything just have a play with it.

All being well I will pass further instructins later, It is after midnight here and I am turning in.
    Someone may give you a better easier idea keep this as a fallback.
    There is a bit of learning to do.
    qldit

5. grumblewink

thanks for the help so far, hope you have a good sleep! i will follow your instructions, and npost the results on here. look forward to hearing from you! goodnight!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

7. grumblewink

Thanks for the help, I was actually just signing on here to say that I had fixed the problem, and I did it exactly the way you have just suggested, i followed steps that i eventually found in microsofts knowldege base, thanks for the help anyway, Mark

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, since the problem has been solved, we have accomplished our goal. :)

9. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Gentlemen, a very interesting exercise.
    Glad to see all turned out well.
    Well Done!
    Cheers, qldit.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice