1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coachdan32, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coachdan32

coachdan32 Thread Starter

I am having a problem with my speakers. They worked fine and then one day I turned them on and they had a loud feedback sound. They have been doing it ever since. I don't know whether it is a software problem or hardware problem (or possibly they just went bad). Can someone give me some things to try?

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Sounds (pun intended) as though the microphone might be on and too close (or volume too loud) to the speaker.

3. coachdan32

I muted the mic and it still persists. Iy's more of a real loud buzz.

4. winbob

winbob

Does it sound like a 60 cycle AC Hummmm?

5. coachdan32

It is real loud, even when the volume is down low - seems to be amplified beyond the level chosen.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds like an internal electronic failure/problem in the amplifier section of the speakers. if it is not affected by the volume control on the speakers themselves, otherwise (if only the PC volume control is available) it could be the lead PC to speakers.

7. winbob

winbob

Don't know why I didn't think to ask this sooner :eek: , but what happens if you plug in Headphones in place of the speakers???

8. coachdan32

I will try it this weekend and see.

9. coachdan32

I tried another set of speakers and got nothing. When plugging into the "audio out" jack there was a lot of popping/cracking as if it may be shorting out. Should I replace the card?

10. winbob

winbob

You said, "When plugging into the "audio out" jack there was a lot of popping/cracking as if it may be shorting out."

If this occurred WHEN the plug was going in or out, the popping/cracking is normal static and is worse as the volume level is higher. It's caused by the momemtary connection of the "Parts" of the plug as it passes thru the socket.

11. winbob

winbob

Ooooopps, missed a piece.

As far as replacing the card. You may have to do that, but before I would, I'd try the card in another PC to make sure it was the problem.

12. coachdan32

I just thought of an important piece of the puzzle I missed. I am also not able to get sound through the internal speaker of the computer without the speakers.

13. winbob

winbob

Coach,

I really do not understand your last statement? :confused:

14. coachdan32

I meant that I can't hear any sound through the computers internal speaker either. If you do not have a set of speakers hooked up, you can usually still get some sound from the computers internal speaker.

15. winbob

winbob

Yes, some SYSTEM sounds, but not general audio from applications. So, where are we now....I'm kinda lost in the back and forths.

Have you tried the card in another PC to see if it works?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice