1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Splitted wire connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Niroj, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Niroj

Niroj Thread Starter

In my office, we have used a LAN splitter to connect to two laptops ( we donot have wifi at office). But the problem is my laptop does not show any connection until the other laptop is ON.
    To make a network connection with my laptop , I always power on the other laptop too. This is a regular problem. I could not figure out whats the problem. Please help me.

PS. My laptop works fine with the wifi at my home.

2. pauseleplague

pauseleplague

May indicate a issue with splitter unless this is something that it's supposed to do.

What is the model number of the LAN splitter?

Is it connected to a modem for a internet connection?

3. Niroj

Niroj Thread Starter

So Sorry for late reply.
    The cable splitter is "RJ45 CAT 5 6 LAN Ethernet Splitter " same as in this picture.[​IMG].
    And Yes, it is attached to DSL modem for internet connection.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't just split a LAN connection like you can a phone line. You'll need a router, hub, or switch to give each machine its own connection.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No router? Are you paying for multiple public IP addresses or are you using "modem" to mean a modem/router combination unit?

Perhaps the splitter is not wired properly, and the error somehow self corrects when both sides of the splitter is used. If you swap the ports the two computers are using does your computer work but the other one only works when yours is turned on?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The splitter requires one at each end of the cable to 'work', it's used to take one cable run to turn it into two. But this isn't the product you want, you want a router or at least a switch if the modem is also already a basic router. A router will also allow you to get wireless as well as give you a firewall and multiple ports with an always on connection for any computer.

7. Niroj

Niroj Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your replies.

Actually there is a connection from ADSL modem/router combination unit to DLink Switch. Then a Cat5 cable is connected from one of the Switch ports to the splitter at the other end. Two patch cables are used to connect to two laptops from splitter.
    The problem is: I cannot have connection when the other laptop is Off. I do not know about the problem but it looks like the old laptop is Master and the new laptop is slave. And for the new one to initiate internet connecion the old one must be ON.
    I tried to check my laptop with the other ports in my office . The connection was okay. Also the wireless adapter works fine at my home. I am figuring out may be there is problem like port binding or master-slave configuration in splitter.. I dont understand.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See Triple6's first sentence. You need to use another splitter to connect two router (or switch) ports to the cable.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'd actually recommend throwing the splitter away and running a proper dedicated cable from the switch.

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

There should be a law against websites selling these things while misrepresenting how they work. :mad:
    The same goes for VGA to S-video adapter cables.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice