Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with Splitted wire connection

853 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Frank4d 
#1 ·
In my office, we have used a LAN splitter to connect to two laptops ( we donot have wifi at office). But the problem is my laptop does not show any connection until the other laptop is ON.
To make a network connection with my laptop , I always power on the other laptop too. This is a regular problem. I could not figure out whats the problem. Please help me.

PS. My laptop works fine with the wifi at my home.

#5 ·
it is attached to DSL modem for internet connection.
No router? Are you paying for multiple public IP addresses or are you using "modem" to mean a modem/router combination unit?

Perhaps the splitter is not wired properly, and the error somehow self corrects when both sides of the splitter is used. If you swap the ports the two computers are using does your computer work but the other one only works when yours is turned on?

#6 ·
The splitter requires one at each end of the cable to 'work', it's used to take one cable run to turn it into two. But this isn't the product you want, you want a router or at least a switch if the modem is also already a basic router. A router will also allow you to get wireless as well as give you a firewall and multiple ports with an always on connection for any computer.

#7 ·
Thank you so much for your replies.

Actually there is a connection from ADSL modem/router combination unit to DLink Switch. Then a Cat5 cable is connected from one of the Switch ports to the splitter at the other end. Two patch cables are used to connect to two laptops from splitter.
The problem is: I cannot have connection when the other laptop is Off. I do not know about the problem but it looks like the old laptop is Master and the new laptop is slave. And for the new one to initiate internet connecion the old one must be ON.
I tried to check my laptop with the other ports in my office . The connection was okay. Also the wireless adapter works fine at my home. I am figuring out may be there is problem like port binding or master-slave configuration in splitter.. I dont understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.