1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with switching to desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jamesbacker, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamesbacker

jamesbacker Thread Starter

last week i put my computer on the internet for a day or two (first time ever). i installed firefox, ad-aware and the modem to connect (adsl modem). now every five minutes the computer switches back to the desktop (like pushing alt tab) i don't know what's wrong. i checked for spyware, viruses => clean. i stopped obsolete processes in task manager. i deleted all the programs i installed in the first place. the computer is not connected to the internet nor a network anymore. what can be causing this problem? it's a dell D505, 512MB RAM, Pentium M 1.3 GHz. and i'm running windows XP professional.

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

Hello, can you elaborate a litlle further on the phrase "switches back to desktop"?

Do you mean while your running a program, or when on the internet or both?
    What happens to opened windows, do they minimize or close?
    If this happens while on the internet is it only to Internet Explorer?

Is it not a screen saver, try turning that off and see what happens.
    Downlaod, update and run hijackthis then post your log here for a look.

3. jamesbacker

the windows minimize. it happens with whatever i'm running. i'll try hijackthis tonight. but the computer is no longer connected to the internet? does it affect it too?

4. Sequal7

Sequal7

It may, but dont worry if it does, it is a simple fast program that will show what is running and set to run on startup.
    Dont fix anything when you run it, just create a log file and copy and paste that file here.

You can downlaod it and install from a disk, Just make sure you get the latest edition V 1.99.1

get if from
    http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

5. jamesbacker

read your reply too late :s i fixed everything already. it seems to be working. thx!

6. jamesbacker

unfortunately the problem is not solved, it worked like 10 minutes and hijack this doesn't even find anything anymore

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/390772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice