1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with The Sims Complete Collection

Discussion in 'Games' started by SimsFan97, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SimsFan97

SimsFan97 Thread Starter

I recently bought The Sims Complete Collection and have had some issues with getting it to run. Everything installed fine, but I began having issues when I went to start the game I tried running it at 800x600 and the EA Games screen loaded fine, but when the Sims splash screen popped up, it stayed there for about 5 - 10 seconds and then crashed back to desktop. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but ended up with the same results. I have a couple of other Sim games on my computer (SimsCity 3000, SimGolf, etc) and thought perhaps they were somehow interferring with The Complete Collection software, so I uninstalled those, same result. Finally, as a last ditch effort, I did a system restore, reinstalled The Sims and then everything worked out fine. I'm happy everything's working now, however, I'd like to know why it kept crashing in the first place and will I have the same issues if I reinstall my other Sim games. For the record, I'm running XP Home Edition and all of my other specs more than meet the system requirements for the game. Thanks for any help!

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Welcome to TSG! (y)

Hmm, well it could have been any number of driver or .dll errors that would crash it...

Things get corrupted but until you use them you won't know..
    It could have been a registry error too.. Hard to say..

Good it's working now.. Just install things one at a time and see if anything messes up.. then you'll have an idea what it could be...
    Games use and install .dll's all the time, and if one isn't quite right the game crashes..

3. karenmon

karenmon

I have done everything that EA suggested and I still have the crash problem. I have a tech support ticket in with EA and hopefully they will help, but according to Microsoft, they have contacted EA regarding this error and EA apparently has no explanation or solution.

When I ran the EA Easy Info, it did say that it didn't know if my Display device and driver or my Sound driver were compatible and to make sure I download any updates. According to Toshiba, I have the latest updates for these drivers.

This is very frustrating. At first we thought it was memory, so my husband went out and bought more memory for my laptop and almost broke it while installing it. The delete key broke off and I can't get it back on. All this for a game! :eek: I REALLY like The Sims, but I don't want to reformat my hard drive to play it! :eek:

Anyone have any suggestions?

4. chikushou56

chikushou56

i have the same problem as you did, with it crashing back down, and i've done 3 system restores and it still doesnt work. i dont know what to do!

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Usually if a game stays on the desktop, its usually the video card.

what are your video cards (or computer if you have a branded machine)?

6. chikushou56

chikushou56

ummm...whats a video card? lol. im not that computer literate.
    um...we have a dell that was made for us if that helps.

7. karenmon

karenmon

My computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Since I haven't looked into correcting this problem for months, I don't remember where to look to see what cards I have.

If you refresh my memory, I'll check it out!:)

Thanks!

Karen

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

karenmon; Start, Control panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager..... Under Display adapters is your video.
    Think the link for Everest Home 1.51 in my sig still works. You can download that and it will allow you to see more detail about your system.

chikushou56; Video card is the device that handles all that you see. It's what sends the info to your monitor. The cable from your monitor will be plugged into the video card. However, if you have "On-board" video, there will not be a card.
    Card type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_card
    On-Board: http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/MSI-RS480-ILAnnotated.gif
    In the on-board example, you can see the ATI Radeon chip marked. It also has a PCI-Express slot to add a video card, instead of using the on-board one.

9. karenmon

karenmon

Thanks!

It's an Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller. I apparently have the most current version, so I'm not sure what's going on. I just know I gave up because no matter what they told me to do, I did and it didn't correct the problem.

Take care, Karen

10. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Sounds like on-board graphics.. Yeah, those just aren't that good for games.
    I've never messed with them myself, but see all kinds of game posts that are solved by getting a graphics card. ??? not sure why exactly. :rolleyes:

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I just noticed that you said memory for your laptop... laptops are not really designed for games, and the intel graphics itself are not that great either.

12. kirstie_blondey

kirstie_blondey

hey anyone can help please do
    i've never had a problem with my game untill now
    i try to redownload the game on my other computer
    and it wont let me but i have downloaded the same
    game on to several different computers before with
    out any problem and my game has been downloaded
    on the computer im trying to download it on now before

13. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Umm, maybe starting your own post would get better results.
    Also.. Clarification maybe.

Download?.. To most of us gamers, and here at TSG, this is "downloading" something off the internet.
    By "download" do you mean to install the game of of the CD's?

If it has been installed, removed, but still says it is installed.. There is a "The Sims Eraser" program that EA has out to clean up any files or registry entries that may hinder any re-installing.
    http://thesims.ea.com/us/getcool/utilities/index.html
    (Note: To download the eraser you will probably need to register with the sims site.)

14. dok78

dok78

Im having a similar problem...I got the game installed but when i wish to play it, the EA logo pops up and after that i see the Sims screen, then i am at my desktop. There is no error message from windows when this happens. Can anyone help me?

15. TechGirlSaysGo

TechGirlSaysGo

Usually the Sims 2 doesn't run for a few reasons:
    1)Your Memory is to low
    2)Your graphic cards capability or graphic card settings aren't high enough
    3)Your disk is scratched
    4)Your game files themselves are corrupted (which can also be described a failing to save, frequent crashing ect.)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice