1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Update Checker

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Arizonaguy, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy Thread Starter

I've used File Hippo update checker for several weeks after somebody installed it for me. Every time I opened it there was something to update. Good, so far. Then there was nothing in there. Being a novice, I thought there was something wrong so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Now I can't even open it. I'm not very good at installing programs - should I click on something after it's installed to get it started?

One of the hidden icons has the icon with a statement that there are no updates to download. Does that mean that if there is a download available I will be able to open the update checker with the desktop shortcut?

The tech who installed ir originally is no longer working with computers. Hope I'm explaining this clearly and am in the right forum.

2. mel8again

mel8again

I assume this icon is in the system tray by the clock. It means the program is running and at the moment there are no updates. Updates don't come out every day. If your video card was updated (or anything else) there might not be another one for months or maybe never. If you double click on the icon it should open the program on the desktop for you.

3. Arizonaguy

There is a hidden icon in the systems tray and clicking on it did bring up the update checker page saying there are no updates to download - so thanks for that! Any idea why the desktop icon doesn't open in the same way like it used to?

4. mel8again

mel8again

I have no idea. Try going to Start, All Programs and see if there is anything listed for file hippo undate checker.

5. Arizonaguy

Yes, it's there.

6. Arizonaguy

I also went into the list of programs on "uninstall" and it's listed there but there's no other information - nothing about size or version. Does that help?

7. mel8again

mel8again

That would just uninstall the program. If it's on your Start button, All Programs list, What happens when you click on it?

8. Arizonaguy

Nothing happens.

9. mel8again

mel8again

I don't know what else to tell you except uninstall and reinstall. After uninstalling the program use windows explorer to go into program files and delete the folder it was in.

10. Arizonaguy

That's the only thing I haven't done. I've used the different options in a variety of ways- run at startup, desktop icon, system tray. The desktop icon does nothing but the "hidden one" does work. The last time I did not check a sys tray icon but it appeared anyway.

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice