Problem with Update Checker

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Arizonaguy

I've used File Hippo update checker for several weeks after somebody installed it for me. Every time I opened it there was something to update. Good, so far. Then there was nothing in there. Being a novice, I thought there was something wrong so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Now I can't even open it. I'm not very good at installing programs - should I click on something after it's installed to get it started?

One of the hidden icons has the icon with a statement that there are no updates to download. Does that mean that if there is a download available I will be able to open the update checker with the desktop shortcut?

The tech who installed ir originally is no longer working with computers. Hope I'm explaining this clearly and am in the right forum.

I assume this icon is in the system tray by the clock. It means the program is running and at the moment there are no updates. Updates don't come out every day. If your video card was updated (or anything else) there might not be another one for months or maybe never. If you double click on the icon it should open the program on the desktop for you.

Arizonaguy

There is a hidden icon in the systems tray and clicking on it did bring up the update checker page saying there are no updates to download - so thanks for that! Any idea why the desktop icon doesn't open in the same way like it used to?

I have no idea. Try going to Start, All Programs and see if there is anything listed for file hippo undate checker.

Arizonaguy

I also went into the list of programs on "uninstall" and it's listed there but there's no other information - nothing about size or version. Does that help?

I also went into the list of programs on "uninstall" and it's listed there but there's no other information - nothing about size or version. Does that help?
That would just uninstall the program. If it's on your Start button, All Programs list, What happens when you click on it?

I don't know what else to tell you except uninstall and reinstall. After uninstalling the program use windows explorer to go into program files and delete the folder it was in.

Arizonaguy

That's the only thing I haven't done. I've used the different options in a variety of ways- run at startup, desktop icon, system tray. The desktop icon does nothing but the "hidden one" does work. The last time I did not check a sys tray icon but it appeared anyway.

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online