1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with USB ports on laptop Compaq Evo N610c

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by java123, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. java123

java123 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a weird problem with the 2 USB ports of my laptop, I asked a couple of people around and nobody could find a solution. Hopefully one of you guys out there will have an idea!

I have a laptop Compaq Evo N610c working on Win XP pro SP2. I bought it second hand some months ago, and didn't realize the problem before. The 2 USB ports are not working properly. If I plug my Samsung mp3 player (which work perfectly on everybody else's pc), it makes windows freeze, and there is nothing else to do but reboot. Same with my external harddrive. My digital camera seems to work, but when I transfer pics on the laptop, they are corrupted and not normal (weird "cuts" in the pics).

After a complete reinstallation of Windows and the USB drivers, it's still the same. A friend suggested to use a PCMCIA USB adapter : it solved the problem for my external harddrive, but I still cannot use my mp3 player or my camera in it.

Anybody had this problem or can suggest something to try?

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

Are the USB ports both 2.0

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

According the the spec's, the USB ports should be 2.0. Do you see the word "Enhanced" in Device Manager on any of the USB components?

4. java123

java123 Thread Starter

Yes both are USB 2.0, it states "enhanced"...

5. bonk

bonk Banned

6. java123

java123 Thread Starter

OMG
    it works! :D
    thanks sooo much for the tip, i just updated the chipset as suggested above...
    I am so happy and grateful, i was thinking about selling it (and feeling guilty not to tell the next owner of those usb ports that didnt work properly) and buy a new one (i dont have money for that!), but now i can keep my notebook for a few more months... it's still a very fast little machine for the price i paid...

cheers guys!

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Good to hear......thanks for telling us also..as a lot don't get back.

8. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Hey, JohnWill

Be thankful they got back and told us the outcome atleast.......I hardly ever see thread Solved

10. JohnWill

I like to dream. ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice