Problem with USB ports on laptop Compaq Evo N610c

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

java123

Hi,

I have a weird problem with the 2 USB ports of my laptop, I asked a couple of people around and nobody could find a solution. Hopefully one of you guys out there will have an idea!

I have a laptop Compaq Evo N610c working on Win XP pro SP2. I bought it second hand some months ago, and didn't realize the problem before. The 2 USB ports are not working properly. If I plug my Samsung mp3 player (which work perfectly on everybody else's pc), it makes windows freeze, and there is nothing else to do but reboot. Same with my external harddrive. My digital camera seems to work, but when I transfer pics on the laptop, they are corrupted and not normal (weird "cuts" in the pics).

After a complete reinstallation of Windows and the USB drivers, it's still the same. A friend suggested to use a PCMCIA USB adapter : it solved the problem for my external harddrive, but I still cannot use my mp3 player or my camera in it.

Anybody had this problem or can suggest something to try?

Thanks a lot for your help!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
According the the spec's, the USB ports should be 2.0. Do you see the word "Enhanced" in Device Manager on any of the USB components?

java123

OMG
it works! :D
thanks sooo much for the tip, i just updated the chipset as suggested above...
I am so happy and grateful, i was thinking about selling it (and feeling guilty not to tell the next owner of those usb ports that didnt work properly) and buy a new one (i dont have money for that!), but now i can keep my notebook for a few more months... it's still a very fast little machine for the price i paid...

cheers guys!

bonk

Banned
Good to hear......thanks for telling us also..as a lot don't get back.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

bonk

Banned
Hey, JohnWill

Be thankful they got back and told us the outcome atleast.......I hardly ever see thread Solved

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online