1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with Vista Machine connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DmColumbus, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DmColumbus

DmColumbus Thread Starter

I have an older (2005ish) Toshiba laptop running Vista that still works (mostly) that I want to use at my bench to do web research when working on projects.

It was clogged with all sorts of programs and running even slower than what would be normal for ancient technology. So, I popped the disks in and set it back to factory.

All went well with the factory refresh except that this machine will no longer access the internet.

What I know ....
    -- It connected to the Internet prior to the refresh.
    -- The connection icon by the clock has the the little planet saying it's connected to the internet
    -- Loading a web page in the browser brings up "Internet Explorer cannot open the webpage" no matter the address.
    -- I can, however, access the router/modem admin pages
    -- Diagnosing the coonection problem finds no issues
    -- The PC has no hardware issues in Device Manager
    -- I updated (via SD Card) the Realtek network driver
    -- The computer downloads (albeit, slowly) updates from Microsoft
    -- I have 3 cell phones, 2 gaming systems, 3 computers and a Roku TV adapter that connect without issues
    -- Same issue if connected using WiFi
    -- Netgear AC1750 modem/router

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do or where to look next. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the computer is not accessing the internet to download updates from where is it getting those updates?

I wouldn't try to do anything else until all Windows updates and the latest drivers are installed.

3. DmColumbus

Well, that's just it. It has finished updating over the last 2 days. I've had computers using the internet since 1994. In that time I've seen a lot of connection issues. But I have never seen anything like this.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What browsers have you tried?

I've lost track of what browsers still work reasonably well in Vista. I assume that there are still some.

5. DmColumbus

This is, believe it or not, where I think my issue is. I can run the command ping 8.8.8.8 in the run window and it returns in 8 milliseconds. The only browser that came with the laptop was IE. I'm not sure the version at the moment. But the laptop was (I believe) built in 2005. So, it's an OLD version! I'm going to attempt to install the latest Firefox, >> IF << it will connect

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have updated to Service Pack 2 and all subsequent Windows updates? That should, I think, update IE to version 9.

7. DmColumbus

Good call TerryNet!! Finally got a good install file for Firefox (for Vista). Loaded it up and viola! I'm typing this from the laptop. So, maybe my laptop isn't fully updated just yet. My IE version is 7, BTW. I don't use IE. So, I don't much care if it ever works.

Thank you very much for the assist!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    DmColumbus:

In case you decide to do a clean install of Windows Vista SP2 and get a fresh start with your computer, I have an updated guide in the "Windows Vista" section that you can follow.
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/updated-steps-for-installing-updating-windows-vista-sp2.1224605/
    I successfully tested it 2 days ago, and it works fine. (y)

As far as what browsers you can use with Windows Vista SP2, Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR 32-bit is the only browser left that's not severely outdated.
    Mozilla stopped support for it in September 2018, so it's currently 6 months out of date.
    You can update to Internet Explorer 9.0.60 from its built-in version 7.0, but even that version is severely outdated.

Frank

---------------------------------------------------------------

plodr likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice