Problem with WD external HD and windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Camlax38

Not sure if this should go here or over on the hardware side.

My friend has a WD passport drive he uses on his Mac to "drag and drop" files for backup/xfering. I am assuming because of this the drive is formatted in HFS+ for OSX ( I really know nothing about macs though).

Anyway he gave me the drive to copy some files onto it for him on my windows 7 machine. When I plug the device into the windows 7 comp it comes up as a CDROM drive and wants to read it with WD's SmartWare for backups.

I try disabling the virtual CDROM in device manager then the drive pops up with an assigned drive letter but as RAW unformatted space.

Note; I have Paragon the full version installed on the windows machine so I should be able to view/interact with the HFS+ file system. Even with that however the computer is reading the drive as "RAW". Really at whits end and about to tell him to take it back and wipe the drive and put everything as FAT32.

Camlax38

Nevermind this can be closed. I tore Paragon HFS off, reinstalled it, power cycled HDD and windows 7 PC and everything is working fine now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online