1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Problem with WiFi Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LinuxOS, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Dear Guys,

Need your help/advice here regarding a WiFi Router. Friend of mine told me that before he goes to sleep he turn off all his network devices (Modem and WiFi Router) but when he turn them ON again in the morning he has to wait to long to get WiFi signal? Devices turned on and he has signal on his mobiles but after 4-5 minutes he can browse on internet? Any advice/help will be great.

Many thanks,

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Stop turning them off, plain and simple. They are not made to be turned on and off and on and off like that.

They use VERY little electricity for that reason, so that they can be left on.

Every time it powers on and off then on again, it has to do a POST check and then renegotiate an IP from the ISP.

I dealt with this problem quite a few times when I worked for Comcast Tech Support. Leave it be and you shouldn't have any more issues.

3. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

As I red to many articles regarding to some Computer experts WiFi signal is dangerous to leave it ON till we are sleeping? For that reason many people here are turning them OFF before go to bed (me also) but I'm not facing this king of problem?

4. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I have read about that myself. No offense, but I doubt if it would cause any serious damage that you would notice in this lifetime.

Leave it on and you'll stop having this pesky issue. It's your choice , however, but I have been using my router and modem constantly for at least the last 15 - 17 months continuously.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Often all the devices can be powered on at the same time with no evident issues. But when there are any problems one should follow recommended practices to try to avoid the problems or to trouble shoot them.

Power on the modem and wait for it to "settle." Then power on the router and wait for it to indicate that it is synced with the modem and ready to perform. Obviously this means you have to watch the LEDs and understand what they are telling you. Then power on devices one at a time. By doing this the network should be operating in the minimum time or you should have an idea what device is struggling.

metallica5456 likes this.
  6. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your gold advice's and help. I thought that is any issue on router configuration? Is it possible that he did anything wrong during the WiFi configuration ?

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    No it's not anything wrong. What happens is a lot of times the router will finish booting BEFORE the modem is ready and then you're stuck with the router having to re-cycle and start all over again.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your friend does not want to trouble shoot then assume it is what Andrew just posted. With that assumption the fix is to keep the modem and router on and connected or to power them up with the proper procedure.

9. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

OK guys will pass it to him. Many thanks for your reply.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

11. JohnBrook

JohnBrook

I'd be interested to know if he did notice any difference. I have my own opinion about this.

12. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Hi JohnBrook,

What you mean by "if he did notice any difference" pleas explain?

And share your opinion maybe it will suite and work.

Many thanks in advance.

13. JohnBrook

JohnBrook

Did he notice any improvement after the proposed solution?

14. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

No he is still facing that issue when he turn it Off in the evening and turn it On again in the morning. Now he left them both ON, but he wanted to know/a solution for fix that.

Regards,

15. JohnBrook

JohnBrook

Is he using any device provided to him by his ISP?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice