1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with win xp pro and my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Squabman, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Squabman

Squabman Thread Starter

I recently reformatted my computer and dropped win xp pro on here..I hav a 40 gig HD, but this morning I woke up and i read that I only have 1.3 gigs left on my hard drive..

this was untrue, nothing on my drive even totals up to 5 gigs..

I tried running chkdsk in read only mode and it said that there was problems with the filing systems, but out of the 7 times ive done chkdsk on a restart, it has only found 1 faulty batch pile. I don't know what going on, I ran a defrag too, it said 37 gigs was being used in 19,000 files..but I dont have 19,000 files ~.~

what would cause a false read like that?

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

WELCOME TO THE TECH SUPPORT GUY FORUMS Squabman!

go to my computer, right click your drive and select properties. move over to the tools tab. under error-checking run scandisk and select check now. select both boxes (fix errors and bad sectors) and run the scan. be patient. tell me the results. a quick reply would be appreciated. is your drive ntfs? see it in the general tab.

3. Squabman

Squabman Thread Starter

Yes its ntfs..

it asks me to restart everytime I want to run scandisk

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it'll run chkdsk the next time it starts, let it do it.

5. Squabman

Squabman Thread Starter

I ran chkdsk, it took like 20 minutes beacuse it held up at 98% of stage 4 verification..(thats where it found the error with the batch file the one time)..

but it finished, and didnt giev a report of it being wrong, but it says theres 3 bad sectors or whatever :| I dunno

6. Squabman

Squabman Thread Starter

It seems like the problem is when its searchign at that 98% point, but its not finding the bad sector like it should be..could that be the caues of the problem?

would a reformat do more harm then good?

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

if you have absolutely nothing you care about, like personal stuff and configuration files, then reformatting and reinstalling xp will be just fine. all you need is the disk. to find out /where/ you hard drive is being takin up i like to use size explorer. but yours seems like a disk error.

8. Squabman

Squabman Thread Starter

yep, I tried to find all files over 100 mb..there were almots none..so its just a disk error..

it wont haev any problem with the batch files or bad sectors when I try to reformat and reinstall?

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

well basically during xp install it will handle everything if your xp professional. all you have to do is run the installer and it will erase all data on your harddisk and go from there.

10. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

bad sectors probably mean a hard drive that needs to be replaced. chkdsk couldn't fix them.

formatting overwrites everything, no more batch files, still bad sectors. :cool:

11. Squabman

Squabman Thread Starter

Technology makes me want to stab things..

leave it to your computer to mess up the day before your REALLY need it.

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Someones sig once said "to err is human... to really screw things up requires a computer"

But dont sweat it. in the event of reinstalling, those sectors will be marked "bad" and won't pose a threat anymore, you may just lose some disk space. Then ofcourse if an entire part of you disk is damage that may be why it was saying you have so little space. just try the reinstall.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice