Problem with Window Explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

airdale

Hi
The problem is I have XP os. Month old computer
I am having problem with Window Explorer, when I try to view pictures that are already loaded on the computer and were already viewed at on time or another. I get some folders that will not have thumbnail photos on the outside of the folder like others, but they did at one time. I get a DEP
(Data Execution Prevention) error saying that window explorer has encountered a problem and will close, the program closes and I return to the desktop background.
I have tried tech support they said to reformat,they said it sounds like a corrupt software. before I do this system restore does anyone have any info on this problem, if so I would appreciate the help.

Thankyou Airdale

I had a similar problem after I had created a shortcut to Windows Explorer after I had upgraded my system from Win98SE to WinXP Pro SP2. It only seemed natural to create the shortcut being more familiar with Windows Explorer under Win98SE, but I knew nothing about Data Execution Prevention.

Here is what I did to resolve my problem as a stopgap measure:

Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced tab->Performance Settings button brings up Performance Options

Click on Data Execution Prevention
Toggle radio button: Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select

Click on Add button and Browse for Windows Explorer and add it to exceptions, then click on Apply and then Ok

I never now use Windows Explorer directly by double-clicking on it or a shortcut icon to it.

I use the Start->My Computer->Local Disk (C) instead.

Hope this helps,

-- Tom

airdale

Thanks lotuseclat79
That worked so far no errors.

Thanks again
Airdale

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online