Problem with Windows XP encrypytion

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cjv147

I had most of my hard drive encrypted with the advanced properties encryption option. Windows told me my user password had expired, so I changes it. Upon doing this, all the encrypted files were no longer accessible, or decryptable through the advanced properties option.

I think that when I changed the password, Windows changed the encryption keys it uses, without reencryping the files to use the new keys.

Anyone have any ideas on how to decrypt these files?
Let me know if you need any additional information.

cjv147

I was able to change the ownership of the file around, but I was still unable to decrypt the files. The access denied message still comes up when I try to decrypt or open the file.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Hmm... In the "Known Limitations" of EFS there is listed: The program can decrypt protected files only if encryption keys (at least, some of them) are still exist in the system and have not been tampered.

Sounds to me like you need that key floppy that you should have made when you encrypted those files...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online