1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with windows xp.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mntdew, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mntdew

mntdew Thread Starter

Hi, all,
    I just updated my OS from Win 2000 Pro to Win XP pro, I have some problem using windows xp, I am wondering if I can get some help here.

System:
    Dell Dimension 4100, 800 MHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 3 HDs, C:\, E:\ and F:\, floppy drive: A:\, and CD-ROM drive: D:\, I just installed Windows XP Pro SP2 from Win 2000.

Sympton:
    (1) After boot up, Windows XP could not use floppy drive. I inserted a disk and tried to access it, XP showed a msg: "Please insert a disk in A:\".
    1.1 Checking the drivers for floppy drive indicated it worked properly and driver was up-to-date, the floppy disk controller is Intel 82801BA LPC controller.
    1.2 The floppy disk is fine with other PC;

(2) I tried to format the C:\, using the XP installation disc, but I could not do so since the System would not boot from CD-ROM or floppy drive. I changed the BIOS boot sequence but it could not help.
    (2.1) after boot up using HD XP, the CD-ROM worked fine
    (2.2) checking the driver of the CD-ROM showed no problem;
    (2.3) changed with another CD-ROM drive which worked fine on another PC, I had the same problem;
    (2.4) The Win XP installation CD worked fine on other PC, i.e., could boot.

Solution wanted:
    (1) How to make the floppy drive work?
    (2) How to be able to boot from the CD-ROM or floppy disk?

Thanks!

2. sockey99

sockey99

Mn.
    I don't know if I can Help you yet, but I am confused on how you installed Xp pro onto the C drive.
    Let me list how I would have done it and tell me if you did the same or something different.

Install XP Pro CD in drive and restart computer.

Screen displays "Press any key to boot from CD", pressed any key within 4 seconds.

XP install from CD starts.

After installing files and checking system etc., you get to format the C drive/partition screen.

Select full or quick NTFS file system format.

Format completes and installation of XP Pro w/SP2 from CD progresses to completion.

This is a clean install of XP pro. I have not encountered a working floppy and CD that did not work after a clean install.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

InstallingXP over the top of any operating system seldom results in a stable system. A clean install will usually result in a much more stable system . . You should look on the Dell Support site for the newest BIOS . . then wipe the drive and install XP fresh.

This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

4. sockey99

sockey99

Yeah, 800 Mhz cpu could be a 4+ year old Bios if it is original.

5. mntdew

mntdew Thread Starter

1. I made the mistake by installing XP on C:\ sharing with Win 2000 (I thought it was going to overwrite Win 2000), after that, I could start up the PC in either OS.
    2. Later I found MS suggested against this practice. At this time, I could not boot from my CD-ROM, even after I upgrade my Win2000 tot Win XP.Now I have two Win XP on C:\.
    3.So now my floppy drive could not work (no complaint of the hardware though), my CD-ROM could work if XP is up, but not working when I tried to boot from it. So I can not get the clean install on C:\.

I am wondering if I can remove the C:\ and connect it to another PC as e:\ and reformat and clean install XP, then I move it back to my Dell PC, will it work?

6. sockey99

sockey99

Did you ever check the boot sequence in Bios/Setup.

The CD drive has to be #1 or#2, Before the HD,#3, or else on startup it goes straight to the HD and does not look in the CD for a bootable disk.
    Do you know how to enter setup?

7. mntdew

mntdew Thread Starter

Yes, I did changed the BIOS. I even changed to make CD ROM the only boot source. If so, the PC did not read CD ROM but display a msg asking me to "insert a bootable disk into A:\".

8. sockey99

sockey99

You mentioned HD's c ,e and f. Are they 3 separate HD's or partitions on one or two drives. Is there a HD on the same ribbon cable as the CD? If so, remove it for now. Is the CD secondary master? If not, jumper to master and try to boot from CD again.

9. mntdew

mntdew Thread Starter

Yes, I have 3 separate HDs, c:\, e:\ and f:\.
    I tried your suggestions also, so the CD-ROM is now the only drive on the cable, but it still could not work.

If I removed the c:\ (with the two XPs), the PC could not boot with the error of "NTLDR is missing".

10. sockey99

sockey99

MNTDEW,
    Neither E or F have bootable OS's so missing DTLDR is not a problem.

OK. I'm down to my last two suggestions.

#1, Replace the motherboard. Intel socket 370 w/ 815E chipset, About $50 0nline.

#2 Find a surrogate mother computer.
    In your first post you said that the A and CD drives both worked in another computer. Also
    the XP cd would boot from your CD drive in the other computer. This tells me you have access to another computer.and two or three would be best.
    The plan is to install your C drive into another computer and do a clean install of XP, which will include a full reformat of C.
    For simplicity, the Dell 4100 is now called "c1" and the surrogate is "c2".
    If more than one surrogate is avaible, choose the one whose specs are the closest match to c1. ie. intel chipset, sdram, agp slot,socket 370, a Dell of similar vintage. This will give the highest chances for success because the device drivers installed while C is in c2 will be the same as required when C is back in c1.
    Preparing c2 for the operation:
    Remove everything from c2 BUT the m/b, cpu and fan, power supply and memory.This includes all PCI and AGP cards Dis And CD/DVD,floppy, and iOmega drives. Make good notes of what was in which slot and which drive was on which IDE and where. This prevents irate owner from coming after you later.
    Now install in c2 the following from c1:A ,CD,and C drives (C is primary master). Also install the AGP video and any PCI cards from c1.
    Here's the moment of truth.
    With the Xp CD in the drive,start the computer, Watch closely for the "press any key to boot from CD" message, and press within 4 seconds.
    ( Important, forgot a step,this is out of sequence,,,, Before gutting c2, goto setup and make sure CD boots before HDD)
    Xp install from CD should now start, when it gets to format the drive choose full NTFS format. Complete rest of install ( I hope).
    If you do not get a boot from the XP CD, replace the c1 CD drive with the c2 CD drive and try again.
    Assuming we now have a C drive with Xp installed, reassemble c1 and c2. In c1 leave out E and F for now, put then back after c1 is up and running with Sp2 and updates.
    Now, the first time you start c1, it has drivers for c1 devices we put in c2, and drivers from c2 devices we used in c2. Xp now has to replace c2 drivers with c1 drivers and will begin to chug thru finding and installing them, it will open one found new hardware wizard after another.
    Here's a brain fart, how about going to Dell and downloading all the available 4100 drivers to CD before the operation so they could be used now.
    Feel free to ask questions before you operate, or list specs for c2 first.

1PM local, be back about 6PM

#1 is still available

11. mntdew

mntdew Thread Starter

Thanks for your detailed suggestion, Sockey99. My second PC is HP workstation xw 4100, it is much different thant my Dell.
    (1) Can I install Win 2000 on c1's c:\ after moving it to C2 since XP has stricter HW checking? After that, I will move the c:\ back to c1, and expect it to boot from CD-ROM, if so, I can clean install the XP again on it.
    (2) If c1's c:\ was set up with the c2:'s HW drivers, such as video, would it refuse to display correctly on my c1's monitor?
    (3) How about I move c1's data drive e:\ to c2's and make it bootable? in case of failure, I can still have c:\.

Thanks again!

12. sockey99

sockey99

#1-- yes you can put 2000 on c1's C drive as long as it boots from CD. Be sure to do a format of the drive during the install to erase the old XP files. Then do another boot from CD install of XP with another format during installation. (But i thought c1 would not boot the XP disk)
    #2 That was the whole point of installing c1's devices in c2 during the XP install. The C drive would use c1 drivers and everything would be OK when reinstalled back in c1.
    #3 Put E into c2 and do another XP install. But E will have drivers for any devices XP find in c2. When E is put in c1 it will have to go thru the driver replacement described earlier.

Don't worry about 2000 drivers, they will be replaced if necessary by XP, or D/L from DEll.

13. mntdew

mntdew Thread Starter

Hi, sockeye99, I found my post #11 option 1 was not clearly stated, I edited it and make it clear. Yes, I could not boot from CD-ROM on c1, but can do so on c2. So I plan to move c1's C or E drive to c2 in order to install win 2000 on it, and move it back, hoping it could let me boot from CD ROM on c1.

14. sockey99

sockey99

OK, give it a try. Temp. remove anything ic c2 that is not needed for the install, NIC, modem, Hdd. You just need cpu,menory, CD, video, and C or E.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice