1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem with wireless connection

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by larrycleve, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larrycleve

larrycleve Thread Starter

I have an ibook g4 connected wirelessly to a dlink router. Everything was working fine and without changing anything it can't connect to the internet. The wavy lines show a strong signal but the browser and e-mail app say server can't be found. I noticed that in the network section under airport and tcp/ip that the ip address was different from the router's. When renewed it said airport had its own contained ip address and might not be able to connect to the internet. When I tried manually putting in the router's address and rebooting, it said the router's ip address was already in use. Still no internet connection. I've used windows computers for 15 years, had my share of frustrations with them, but was always eventually able to straighten things out. This is my first apple computer, I got it because it's supposed to be easier to use than windows. It has been nothing but a continual pain in the neck and i'll never buy one again. Any ideas on how to get back on the internet?

2. marcus77

marcus77

Is your router set to DHCP or static IP's? And, is your iBook accepting DHCP if that's what your router is set to?

3. carbcycle

carbcycle

Hi,

Does the wireless router have WEP encryption enabled? If so have you entered the WEP key into the Mac OS wireless settings?

Most wireless routers have an "Access Control List" which only allows certain wireless devices to connect to it. If this is turned on, you will either need to turn it off or enter the MAC address of your wireless card in your iBook.

Other than that, make sure DHCP is enabled on the router and the iBook is set to get its IP address from DHCP on the wireless card.

You might want to test the connection by plugging into the router with network cable and see if it works that way. That way you can narrow the problem down to the wireless section of the router/iBook.

Hope this helps mate.

CarbCycle

4. nbscpu

nbscpu

Try the network utility under apps-utilities. I use this utility to first look at the info tab to see what the network connections are and the corrosponding IP addresses are.
    Do you have a valid IP address for the wireless port?
    If you do then go to the ping tab and ping the router. If OK then ping yahoo.com or any site you want.
    I use both platforms and have virtually no problems with the Mac and networking. I use my Mac to troubleshoot windows networks quickly.
    I hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice